Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2004, 02:02 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to AWay
Need opinions on a 01 Boxster I'm looking at buying.

2001 Boxster 5 speed
60k miles
Triple black
Sport chassis
17's
Litronics
Headlight washers
crests in headrests
painted center column and roll bars (gloss black)

$22,000

It came from an auction and is being sold at regular used car dealership.

Had it inspected by a porsche dealer and it needs the following:
new battery
front pads and rotors
60k service (I could do most of this myself)
possibly a new coolant tank since the coolant was low when I took it in. They didn't do a pressure test since it would have cost me more $
new tire soon (maybe 3k left on them)

It drives great, engine is strong and sounds good, and the paint and interior are in great shape. I'm just sort of skeptical about buying one with such high miles and from a used car dealership. I always feel like their scamming me. The price was $24k, but after I had it checked out and told him all it needs I got it down to $22k. Not going to get it for any less.

I'd be using it as my daily driver putting on @ 20k miles a year.

What do you guys think?

I really didn't want to spend over this amount for one anyway, and I figured it was a great deal on a 01 with some good options, even though it has higher mileage.

AWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:40 PM   #2

Looks good to me, I'd make them put new tires on it. Tires can get expensive on the back wheels. Front ones aren't that bad. I use my Boxster for daily sales calls, got 67,000 miles on it and am really satisfied.
daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 09:24 PM   #3
b0xt0La

Wow that's a very good price for a 2001. I remember someone the other day posted here and he wanted a Boxster that was atleast a 200 for $24k and everybody was pessimistic. Make sure you have an exstimate for all the repairs first then go to the dealer ( if you haven't done it already).

My car had 88k miles when I bought it and the rotors are the original ones which means the cars was driven on the highway mostly. I say jump all over that car. 1997's, 1998's and 1999's with close mileage are being sold for around the same price.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:42 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to AWay
i checked out all the repairs

At the worst with replacing the coolant tank I'm looking at about $1000 worth of maintenance. (new pads, rotors, tank, battery, oil and all filters change)

So at $23k I think it's still a pretty good deal.

Just curious how well it will hold up putting 20k more miles on it a year. I don't know if porsche engines are known for their great reliability in the higher mileage cars?

I'm driving a 00 GS 300 now with 140k on it and it runs like new.

Still deciding.

AWay is offline   Reply With Quote