Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to BOX5TR
Gahh

Anyone think GAHH will have somekind of holiday discount on the glass window conv. top? I guess we'd know about it by now... almost ready to get one... was just hoping to see somekind holiday love

BOX5TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOX5TR
Anyone think GAHH will have somekind of holiday discount on the glass window conv. top? I guess we'd know about it by now... almost ready to get one... was just hoping to see somekind holiday love
I love that they offer a glass window top for our cars. I will probably buy one when the time comes. But I don't like that the top can't be put into it's full service position with the glass window and I don't like that the window has to get so small. I don't understand why someone doesn't make a glass window top that's split into 2 pieces of glass that are hinged in the middle with fabric. This would allow the overall glass area to be quite a bit larger and also allow for the top to be brought to it's full service position.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I love that they offer a glass window top for our cars. I will probably buy one when the time comes. But I don't like that the top can't be put into it's full service position with the glass window and I don't like that the window has to get so small. I don't understand why someone doesn't make a glass window top that's split into 2 pieces of glass that are hinged in the middle with fabric. This would allow the overall glass area to be quite a bit larger and also allow for the top to be brought to it's full service position.
Can you elaborate on the point about the top not being able to be put in the full service position? I too, am contemplating getting a GAHH once my plastic window is shot. Is it that with the glass window, you can't get to the engine from the top?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #4

The glass window replacement top makes it a little harder to fully open the back end of the top for maintenance to the top of the engine. The mechanic has to undo a couple of screws to swing it totally up and out of the way if the top of the engine needs serious access.

However, this is not much of an issue in my opinion. Any decent mechanic can do this in 15 minutes if need be... very very little maintenance is done from the top anyway.

So, if you want a glass window, get one. There's a remote possibility it could cost you fifty bucks in repair costs one day, but frankly, the fact that you don't have to get out, chop the top, get back in and continue lowering the top is worth that amount of money... which may never be charged to you anyway. It's a good swap in my mind.

I am also planning to buy a GAHH top and will have a local GAHH authorized shop install it. These tops are now available from a couple of different sources and on eBay at a discount, but frankly, the GAHH service after the sale when buying it through them and having an authorized shop install it per their guidance is far better when and if the top needs work or replacement during the warranty period.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
The glass window replacement top makes it a little harder to fully open the back end of the top for maintenance to the top of the engine. The mechanic has to undo a couple of screws to swing it totally up and out of the way if the top of the engine needs serious access.

However, this is not much of an issue in my opinion. Any decent mechanic can do this in 15 minutes if need be... very very little maintenance is done from the top anyway.

So, if you want a glass window, get one. There's a remote possibility it could cost you fifty bucks in repair costs one day, but frankly, the fact that you don't have to get out, chop the top, get back in and continue lowering the top is worth that amount of money... which may never be charged to you anyway. It's a good swap in my mind.

I am also planning to buy a GAHH top and will have a local GAHH authorized shop install it. These tops are now available from a couple of different sources and on eBay at a discount, but frankly, the GAHH service after the sale when buying it through them and having an authorized shop install it per their guidance is far better when and if the top needs work or replacement during the warranty period.
If you look at the pictures of the top with the back up for service, it's alot more intrusive than the plastic window. Show stopper? Absolutely not. More cumbersome and unnecessarily so? Yes.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #6

Hi,

I think that people have underplayed the impediment that accessing the engine is with the Glass Top. You need a Shop to remove and replace it. This can seriously limit how often you go into the engine, if each time you need to partially disassemble the top and then reassemble it. And, how many such cycles can actually be done? I haven't heard anything on this issue.

If you do not plan on doing regular routine maintenance such as replacing the Air Filter or checking the Power Steering Fluid (aside from any needed maintenance), then perhaps it's not much of an issue.

IMHO, GAHH will have to work up a better solution to accessing the engine before I am willing to take the plunge, especially since my top is down virtually 100% of the time, except when it's being washed, or if by some chance I sometime get caught in a Flash rainstorm.

So far, if my window fails, replacement of the plastic windshield with a better quality one from an upholstery shop is probably the route I'll choose...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 12-04-2006 at 02:18 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I think that people have underplayed the impediment that accessing the engine is with the Glass Top. You need a Shop to remove and replace it. This can seriously limit how often you go into the engine, if each time you need to partially disassemble the top and then reassemble it. And, how many such cycles can actually be done? I haven't heard anything on this issue.

If you do not plan on doing regular routine maintenance such as replacing the Air Filter or checking the Power Steering Fluid (aside from any needed maintenance), then perhaps it's not much of an issue.

IMHO, GAHH will have to work up a better solution to accessing the engine before I am willing to take the plunge, especially since my top is down virtually 100% of the time, except when it's being washed, or if by some chance I sometime get caught in a Flash rainstorm.

So far, if my window fails, replacement of the plastic windshield with a better quality one from an upholstery shop is probably the route I'll choose...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Hey, I thought you said you've decided to sell your car. Change of heart?

The top doesn't keep you from changing the air filter from what I understand. But I'm sure it makes it a pain.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
The GAHH glass-window top definitely makes access to the top of the engine more difficult. It is really frustrating not being able to push the back of the top more forward for better access. Having said that, I don't regret for one second making the decision to go with glass. Not having to worry about damaging and taking care of the plastic window is enough reason for me. Having the electric defroster capability is a bonus. Granted, I haven't needed the defroster often (I don't drive the car much when it would be needed), but it's nice to have on that rare occasion for me. BTW, I've changed my oil/air separator, air filter, and MAF sensor with the glass top. I'm sure it would have been easier with better access, but it isn't impossible to do these admittedly rather simple tasks. The rearward vision through the smaller glass window was difficult at first, but like most things, I got use to it in no time. More reason to drive with the top down.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Does the OEM factory 03+ glass windowed tops have this same issue of limited engine access? Just curious.

I think at only $300 more for the glass windowed top vs. the plastic version at GAHH, it's a no brainer.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #10

No. The newer glass top boxsters have a different cross-brace scheme that allows it to go all the way up into "full" service position.

It is only the aftermarket tops that have to work within the confines of the plastic top-designed top framework.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote