Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #1

Snow Tires on 18's

Hello -

I have a quick question regarding snow tires. The 2001 Boxster S is my first car that requires swapping out rubber for the winter. I have 18 in. Sport Classics and even though it is recommended that I get a set of 17 in. rims, I would prefer to save the money. My OEM size is 225/40/18 up front & 265/35/18 at the rear. Pirelli makes a set in this size called the 240 SnowSport & Continental makes a winter set too. Even though the size is right, it seems a little wide for snow tires. If I downsize the width, like 205 or 215 at the front & 255 or 245 at the rear, will they still fit my rims? Wouldn't that narrower size be much better for the winter? We just had a snowstorm here in Chicago, and now it's freezing! Have to get this done pronto.

Thanks.

mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
if they are winter tires then the size shouldnt matter that much,.
i drove my on contis for summer...lol

still made it fine, but coulda been better

btw man, go check out the regional forum, we got some chicago action going on there, sign up and say whats up
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:08 AM   #3

not sure on what tires will fit and how but I have 18's and continental snow tires on my box and it works great....except for the last storm, I was too lazy too put them on yet.....

however, if you are not upgrading rims at any point from your 18's, I think you should drop the 1100 to 1200 for the set of 17's from tire rack....I am pulling the rubbers from the rims and it costs around 200 bucks everytime they do it.....4 winters later I will have made up the difference in cost....

I plan to upgrade to 19's so for now I bite the bullet
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #4

I'm with super66 on this one. Buy some used 17's (typically I've seen them around the $400-$500 range) and put some 17" rubber on them. May want to price out the cost of 17" vs. 18" rubber as in many cases there is a dramatic difference) and may easily justify the cost of the wheels (did so on my track wheel/tire setup). With the stock 17's from an early model Boxster S you should have 7" width up front and 8.5" in the rear which you should be able to get some much narrower rubber for. Depending on the tire (go to the manufacturer's website and they should have a chart of wheel width for a specific tire size), I think you should easily be able to get 205's on the front and 245's on the rear with this set up. May be able to go even narrower?

BTW - super66, djomlas, and mylamb, Are you going to join up with myself, NickCats and bmusatti for some autocrossing next year?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:30 AM   #5

i am planning on some autoX events next yr for sure...we just gota decide where and when. and id be up for the dragon tail as well

Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #6

Absolutely! I'll do some auto-xing in 2007 & I joined PCA to get some track time at Autobahn, Blackhawk, & Road America. I priced out 18's and swapping out rubber ( I found a Porsche mechanic that will do it for $100) and it looks like for now, they're still a deal. I can get them on & have the summer tires stored for about $920. I haven't found a set of 17's + tires for less than around $1500 lately. I know the swapping will add up eventually, but for now, I have to keep a little stash set aside for Christmas gifts!

Hey - how do you apply a picture of your car to your signature?
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #7

click on quick links, then edit signature, and then insert a picture in there, just plese make sure that its not a HUGE picture, and if you need help with a signature picture, lemme know, ive made quite a few, even here on this forum.

and chek out this thread

Old 12-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #8

I use the Conti's as well and find them excellent in rain, ice, snow & dry. Not suitable for Summer as the compound is quite soft and wears quickly.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #9

Quote:

"click on quick links, then edit signature, and then insert a picture in there, just plese make sure that its not a HUGE picture, and if you need help with a signature picture, lemme know, ive made quite a few, even here on this forum.

and chek out this thread"

Originally Posted by djomlas

dude! help....I can't figure out how to get my pic uploaded in my signature.......I'm surprised I can even type....btw, I clicked on the other thread and I'm at DePaul too....part time tho....mgmt major as well....small world huh....I'm probably older than you though....I hate to admit I'm 31
Old 12-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #10

all you gotta do is this...put put it in between these brackets: [img][/img], so you will have [img]then insert your link to a picture here[/img]

so like this and picture shows up.

so just paste this link below into your signature box in between the brackets, but delete the spaces after the brackets, couse from here when theres no spaces the picture shows up, lol

http://media.livedigital.com/pictures/50/94/509497427f9f695e8de8d3f2413f45d7_rs.JPG

Last edited by djomlas; 12-04-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #11

alright....so I opened a photo bucket trying to figure this so lets check my link first...ready set.....
Old 12-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #12

ha! my link was just an x to click on.....the link you had up is this image not available...I think your link is closer to working than mine....
Old 12-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #13

got it....thanks!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #14

there u go, thats a nice looking box u got there man.

glad it worked out for...now u got a signature