Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2024, 09:33 AM   #1

Speaker Recommendation

I just purchased a used speaker/storage shelf for my 1997 Boxster. I want to replace the speakers ... two are torn and the other two are original. I've done some research on Crutchfield and speaker manufacturers websites but can't seem to find any that actually fit. The Porsche part number is 98664550300, but I want to upgrade all of my speakers, and these are the last ones I need. Has anyone replaced these and what speakers did you find that did not need reengineering to mount? The mounting holes for these are exactly 3.5 inches and most of the ones I have seen online are 3.75 to 4.3 inches. I wouldn't mind some modification, but there is not much room to work with ...

freserf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:26 AM   #2

This looks like it will fit. https://www.parts-express.com/Kenwood-KFC-835C-3-1-2-Dual-Cone-Speaker-Pair-267-4300?quantity=1

Based on this thread: https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/29236-rear-speakers-diy-guide.html it appears that Polk made a 3.5 inch speaker at one time. The thread is from 2011, and they may no longer make it.

Good luck and let us know whether these work for you. I have had my rear speakers for about 15 years, and they may fail someday. It will be good to know if a replacement is available.

I bought an aftermarket kit made by an enthusiast named Harvey. If you search on "Harvey PNP" you might find some references to it. If I recall correctly, the speakers were not a brand name, but they sound pretty good.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 01-08-2024 at 10:33 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:45 AM   #3

There is a guy on eBay (search "Porsche Boxster 986 / 987 rear speaker bracket & grill. *Universal fitment") that sells a new insert to house a single 3.5" speaker per side. You could go this direction or seeing as you have the part, slide out the speaker holder you have, trace it on some plastic and make a version with a single 3.5" hole.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:59 PM   #4

All four of mine were blown when I bought the car. I wasn’t ready to do a full audio overhaul, so I just bought new OEM ones for the time being. I think they were about $40 a piece.

Interested in seeing what you go with.

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 06:06 AM   #5

Thanks Kevin, a good recommendation and link to a DIY. While I enjoy coming up with solutions like BMAN, I just wanted a plug and play this time. I have my Boxster off the road right now for new keys to be programmed and wanted to change out my stock speakers for new ones while it is down ... thus the plug and play route. The only thing I need to think about now is matching impedance so I will have to pull out my electronics books and rehash.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:09 AM   #6

Thanks elav. I had thought about 3D printing a new insert to match whatever speaker I purchase ... but I wanted to keep it simple for this project. Kevin pointed me to a DIY for a single speaker that has good photos and a layout of the actual insert he used. That was 13 years ago ... I wonder how long it lasted?
Old 01-09-2024, 06:17 AM   #7

Garage
I installed Pioneer TS-A878 3.5" speakers. They sound great! I original modified the mounting bracket by enlarging the holes but then found a metal replacement mounting bracket but I am not sure those are still available. A quick search shows one on Etsy that looks well made. The sound upgrade was well worth it IMHO.

If you have your own 3D printer, the guy selling the bracket will sell you his file to print your own.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights

Last edited by BruceH; 01-09-2024 at 06:20 AM.
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 06:32 AM   #8

Danimal, thanks for the information. I had thought about just stock replacement speakers. Ebay has them for about 100.00 a piece, Pelican Parts has them for about 55.00 and Byers Porsche for about 44.00. Two of mine are actually not bad ... yet. But since I am replacing all of my speakers, I decided to go ahead and upgrade the rear panel. I found a set of 4 on Amazon for 78.00, Infinity REFERENCE 3032CFX. Hopefully they do not need too much fitting. Once I have them installed, I will come back to add photos and give a sound update. PS, I was looking hard at FOCAL speakers, but at 600.00 for one 3.5 inch speaker, I decided not for me, even though the sound would be most excellent ...
Old 01-09-2024, 06:41 AM   #9

Thanks BruceH. I clicked on those speakers and there is an actual drawing with actual measurements. If only every speaker would have that information included online so it would be easier to know if they will fit or only need minor modification. The file for printing the bracket is a great idea. I could download and make adjustments for the speakers I am trying and it would be a perfect fit ... I may just go ahead and purchase that file, modify at my leisure and replace sometime when I have nothing better to do ...
Old 01-10-2024, 10:46 AM   #10

I actually restored my original speakers by gluing on new foam surrounds. It is a fairly simple project and cheaper than buying new. Buying or printing new inserts that support 3.5" speakers seems like the way to go in my opinion.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:52 AM   #11

That is actually a good idea ... hadn't thought of replacing the surround. I think that one set of mine, the cone is actually torn. What I have done so far is replace the door speakers, basically plug and play. For the dash speakers I found a template for the speakers I chose. 3D printed them on the cheap and the fit was perfect. For the rear storage speaker setup, I have a template to 3D print new holder brackets, I just need to make some adjustments since it is just outside my printers 220x220x250 print box. Will keep you updated on my progress. If you need templates, try Etsy and Thingiverse. I noticed an assortment of brackets and recommendations for Porsche.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:34 AM   #12

Forget about the rear speakers and spend the money on High end front speakers for the front sound stage. Most audio experts will tell you that. My rears are disconnected. At concerts they don't have speakers behind you.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:54 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azlvr View Post
Forget about the rear speakers and spend the money on High end front speakers for the front sound stage. Most audio experts will tell you that. My rears are disconnected. At concerts they don't have speakers behind you.
I would disagree, with the top down, the rear speakers are what I predominantly hear, YMMV
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 04:11 AM   #14

That goes to show that your front speaker setup is not that good or has enough power. My system sounds just as good with top up or down with no rear speaker.

azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote