Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
As I've said before, it would be nice if Porsche offerred all of their motors as options in both the 997 and the 987. Boxster GT anyone?
Yes, I keep telling them that but they wouldn't listen. Probably because then there would be no 997 to sell. The sales of 997 are still going too strong for them to ever risk a move like that. As the latest numbers are showing, the "look at me in a 911" crowd still drives Porsche's business. So we can safely assume that the Boxster will be 20% underpowered to the 911 for years to come.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:11 AM   #42

I don't think its a rip off at all....your paying for performance and getting the car you want.....I would do it in a heartbeat....I mean sure there are always other cars that give you more bang for the buck and will beat you aound the track, but the problem is I will be envious of the gorgeous boxster I'm beating even with it being slower.....

few compare in looks.......
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #43

This might be a bad question but if they swap the engine, do you get to keep your engine they took out? Cause I could definitely take it and sell it for maybe 10-15k? (total guess) and make some of it back.

If you don't, that's absolutely stupid. Why would they take your engine??
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
This might be a bad question but if they swap the engine, do you get to keep your engine they took out? Cause I could definitely take it and sell it for maybe 10-15k? (total guess) and make some of it back.

If you don't, that's absolutely stupid. Why would they take your engine??
They usually take your used engine, as mentioned earlier. 10-15k is way high for even a slightly used boxster engine. They probably sell it on the aftermarket like you want to. You may get 3-5 k for a slightly used 2.7L or 3.2L engine. There was a nice 3.6L 996 engine with less than 5 thousand miles on it on ebay a few months back for 5.5k. I'd be happy with a 3.6L boxster with 320 or so hp. Any car with a power to weight ratio of 10hp to 1lb or greater is pretty fast.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #45

I just spoke to Shane, the guy who's car was featured in Autoweek and Excellence. He's incredibly thrilled with the upgrade. It sounded like everything is a great fit for the new engine. Gearing match up nicely and of course the powerband is a lot more fun, giving you even reasonable go at 2-3k RPM (where I personally feel the stock S seems almost dead).

He had compared it to the 997S Cab before going with the upgrade and just enjoyed the driving experience of the Boxster a lot more. So far he's done both 3-day road trips and track days with the upgraded car and performs very well for both.

One of the big differences was 60-120 performance, which obviously is a much more vivid experience. Again, that's personally where I feel the lag of power much accentuated in the stock S as well. If traffic is flowing at, say, 75, then you don't exactly feel like you're flying by your fellow drivers. Obviously, on the grand scale of things, the Boxster S is a very fast car compared to probably 98% of the rest of the road -- so it's all very relative .

He had a lot of good words for the guys at RUF, too.

Anyway, just thought I'd keep you guys posted. I'm definitely considering this very seriously and will probably make a decision shortly into the new year, so the car can be ready for Chicago driving season start if it's a go. I'll write up a full review then if it happens.
webster132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #46
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
They usually take your used engine, as mentioned earlier. 10-15k is way high for even a slightly used boxster engine. They probably sell it on the aftermarket like you want to. You may get 3-5 k for a slightly used 2.7L or 3.2L engine. There was a nice 3.6L 996 engine with less than 5 thousand miles on it on ebay a few months back for 5.5k. I'd be happy with a 3.6L boxster with 320 or so hp. Any car with a power to weight ratio of 10hp to 1lb or greater is pretty fast.

Hi Adam:

I think you mean 10 pounds per 1 HP.

In actuality, I think it would be closer to 9 pounds/1 HP assuming the car weights about 2,900 pounds!!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:12 AM   #47
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster132
I just spoke to Shane, the guy who's car was featured in Autoweek and Excellence. He's incredibly thrilled with the upgrade. It sounded like everything is a great fit for the new engine. Gearing match up nicely and of course the powerband is a lot more fun, giving you even reasonable go at 2-3k RPM (where I personally feel the stock S seems almost dead).

He had compared it to the 997S Cab before going with the upgrade and just enjoyed the driving experience of the Boxster a lot more. So far he's done both 3-day road trips and track days with the upgraded car and performs very well for both.

One of the big differences was 60-120 performance, which obviously is a much more vivid experience. Again, that's personally where I feel the lag of power much accentuated in the stock S as well. If traffic is flowing at, say, 75, then you don't exactly feel like you're flying by your fellow drivers. Obviously, on the grand scale of things, the Boxster S is a very fast car compared to probably 98% of the rest of the road -- so it's all very relative .

He had a lot of good words for the guys at RUF, too.

Anyway, just thought I'd keep you guys posted. I'm definitely considering this very seriously and will probably make a decision shortly into the new year, so the car can be ready for Chicago driving season start if it's a go. I'll write up a full review then if it happens.

Webster, if and when you travel to take your car to RUF, please let me know. I will gladly serve as your personal bodyguard, carry your briefcase, or whatever. Just let me know!

When do Sammy, NickCats and I get to wax your Lambo?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #48

I sold 2.7l from my 00 box with 53k miles for 2.7k. Not great but it helped.

ALl I can say with doing a converison is it kicks ass. It makes the most beautiful car on the road drive much better.

60 to 100 is just AWESOME, and I just put in a 3.4.

with an X51 3.8 I could only imagine.

Just do it and dont look back.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hi Adam:

I think you mean 10 pounds per 1 HP.

In actuality, I think it would be closer to 9 pounds/1 HP assuming the car weights about 2,900 pounds!!
lol...yeah, I had it flipped. Yes, it would be closer to 9lbs/1hp for a 3.6L in a boxster S. I was jus saying that in my mind at least, anything with a 10lbs/1 hp ratio or greater is a pretty quick car.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
lol...yeah, I had it flipped. Yes, it would be closer to 9lbs/1hp for a 3.6L in a boxster S. I was jus saying that in my mind at least, anything with a 10lbs/1 hp ratio or greater is a pretty quick car.
You mean, "10lb/1hp ratio or smaller", right?
Sorry Adam, just couldn't resist.

Z.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #51

Does anyone know the price of the 3.4 / 3.6 / 3.6 x51 swap from Ruf?

I dont think I'll buy a 987 ever because I think the 986's body is so much sexier. Shame though that the 3.8 isn't available for the 986.

Assuming the price is 40k though, for me, that would mean 355hp boxster for $65k.

Not a bad deal. Especially considering that the X51 is still N/A, so you can add boost and get a 500/600hp car. A "Boxster GT" for less than 80k minus aerodynamics, and suspensions .. ect.

Last edited by vijen6; 03-02-2007 at 11:45 AM.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #52
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6
Does anyone know the price of the 3.4 / 3.6 / 3.6 x51 swap from Ruf?

I dont think I'll buy a 987 ever because I think the 986's body is so much sexier. Shame though that the 3.8 isn't available for the 986.

Assuming the price is 40k though, for me, that would mean 355hp boxster for $65k.

Not a bad deal. Especially considering that the X51 is still N/A, so you can add boost and get a 500/600hp car. A "Boxster GT" for less than 80k minus aerodynamics, and suspensions .. ect.
Go to the RUF web site for pricing:

www.rufautocentre.com
Old 03-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #53

0-60 is a consumer statistic that means little to nothing.

Hopefully I can do this in near future if my business starts rolling better.

40 grand is a bargain for what you are getting.

This is an NA engine, right? Better be.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #54

There has got to be other shops doing the 3.8l conversion - that price seems really steep. It would be really cool to have a 987S with a 3.8l engine in there...plus you could sell the 3.2l for something, at least...

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #55
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIQTodd
There has got to be other shops doing the 3.8l conversion - that price seems really steep. It would be really cool to have a 987S with a 3.8l engine in there...plus you could sell the 3.2l for something, at least...

Todd, FYI, RUF's pricing assumes a core exchange on the engine. In other words, their pricing includes them keeping your old engine.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIQTodd

http://www.roockusa.com/products/boxster.htm
Old 03-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #57

Quote:
I discovered Orton and FVD are doing it also.

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #58

For how much?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #59

Quote:
For how much?
FVD was 26k - nothing on Orton on the site for price

2006 Infiniti M35 Sport

Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #60

Can you please post the link for FVD and Orton?

vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote