Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2023, 07:37 AM   #1

Driving temp

My 99 model Boxster base is running at 210F according to my scan tool. Honestly my dash gauge is pretty accurate surprisingly This is right around where the high speed fans come on and the thermostat is wide open. It is hot here being 95 to 100 degrees. I have no idea the age of my thermostat or water pump. I plan on changing them out when I get the nerve to break off bolts. Do yours run this temp in these conditions?

wiebuschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 08:47 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebuschk View Post
My 99 model Boxster base is running at 210F according to my scan tool. Honestly my dash gauge is pretty accurate surprisingly This is right around where the high speed fans come on and the thermostat is wide open. It is hot here being 95 to 100 degrees. I have no idea the age of my thermostat or water pump. I plan on changing them out when I get the nerve to break off bolts. Do yours run this temp in these conditions?
It doesn't get that hot here, so my experience at those temperatures is limited. Two things to check 1) are you low speed fans working? On my 2000 S neither fan works at low speed, replacing the resistors is at the top of my list.
2) have the radiators been cleaned recently, all sorts of stuff collects in there and cuts down on air flow.
Both of these operations are simpler than changing a water pump and can be done at the same time with the front bumper cover off.
I am in the process of preparing new DIY resistors like in this thread, see post #25.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/737811-ballast-resistor-replacement-2.html
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 09:13 AM   #3

I should have added that. Radiators are clean and fans run on both speeds. This is with the Ac on high.
Old 08-12-2023, 03:07 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebuschk View Post
I should have added that. Radiators are clean and fans run on both speeds. This is with the Ac on high.
Radiators have been cleaned, or just look clean? What you see when you look thru the bumper opening is not the radiator - it’s the A/C condenser. The radiator is behind it, and to clean it properly, the two need to be separated.
Old 08-12-2023, 04:43 AM   #5

Bumper cover removed and cleaned out between them. I did not use a coil cleaner though. What temp does your Boxster run? My needle is on the right part of the 0.which turns out to be 210.
Old 08-12-2023, 02:53 PM   #6

If you haven't replaced the water pump, it sounds like the blades are starting to chip off, because that temp is kinda high in my opinion.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 05:21 PM   #7

Your low speed radiator fans kick on at 206.2 Degrees F
High speed kicks on at 215.6 Degrees F
Your car running at 210 Degrees F with ambient temps running from 95 to 100 degrees is normal.

With that being said in 50 + years of dicking with cars I have never seen a water cooled engine run at a static temp. Temp. always fluctuates according to engine load and other factors.

My 2000S fluctuates from around 185 to 225 depending on ambient temp. terrain and how hard I push it.
At. 210 for your hot dry Texas conditions you Box temps. are normal.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 10:03 AM   #8

Mine were in the 180 range. Now it has been many years since I owned one but lets see what others say.

'99 and '01s both.

Are your fans coming on? Radiators clean? Between the radiators and the AC? Hopw lonng since a coolant flush? How long since a water pump replacement?

Last edited by mikefocke; 08-13-2023 at 10:05 AM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 06:14 AM   #9

Thank you all for the replies gentlemen.