Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2023, 10:54 AM   #1

Garage
My temporary temperature gauge.

The temperature gauge is not working on my 2000 S following an engine swap to an engine with a 4 pin temperature sensor. It looks like it is going to take some time to find the proper connector and figure out the wiring details, so I came up with this temporary gauge.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0928QY786?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
There are 2 sensors so I used aluminum tape to attach one to the boss for the normal temperature sensor

and the other to the rubber coolant tube at the front left of the engine.

I found a use for the ashtray... mounting point for the gauge, dictated by the length of the sensor wires, I didn't want to get into splicing in longer wires. This is a bit of a rats nest... but it is temporary. I took power from my oil pressure gauge which is handy and exposed.

Obviously neither of these will give me a true reading, but I can correlated the readings to the actual temperature seen via my Durametric. So far I have found that the sensor taped to the temperature gauge is only about 10 degrees C below the real temperature. The fans come on at about 106 degrees C at which point the new gauge indicates 200 degrees F... a nice round number to look out for. It is unfortunate that the gauge is only in F, but now I know what to look out for.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 07:40 AM   #2

I like the form factor of the display on this gauge so I took a look at the listing. It shows that the gauge can be configured to Celsius, and it also seems to have a correction factor so you can adjust it up or down. The picture shows a button on the back for programming, does yours have the button? I'm strongly tempted to order one myself.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 03:34 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepperracing View Post
I like the form factor of the display on this gauge so I took a look at the listing. It shows that the gauge can be configured to Celsius, and it also seems to have a correction factor so you can adjust it up or down. The picture shows a button on the back for programming, does yours have the button? I'm strongly tempted to order one myself.
I don't see where it says it can be set to Celsius. Mine has the button, pressing it displays C1 then C2 then CA then CF... but in all cases it comes back to F. Perhaps there is a programming secret but I didn't find it. No documentation with it.

EDIT - I found where it talks about Celsius... in one of the pictures in small print. I'll try programming it again.

REEDIT - Hey if you look at all the pictures in the ad you learn all sorts of things... like how to program it. My bad.

Last edited by elgyqc; 08-10-2023 at 03:55 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-11-2023, 03:09 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepperracing View Post
I was able to program it to Celsius and saw how to set the corrections. With a bit of work it could be set up as the primary temperature gauge. It would be nice to be able to get an approximation of the oil temperature, perhaps from the exterior of the oil pump?

Last edited by elgyqc; 08-11-2023 at 04:08 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-22-2023, 03:28 PM   #5

Garage
This setup is working, but it is not convenient to be looking at the ashtray while driving so I lengthened the sensor leads and installed the gauge below the instrument cluster.

The duct tape goes well with the SportDesign interior
I repeat, it is a temporary installation.
Old 08-23-2023, 03:05 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Metric system, lol.
Old 08-23-2023, 06:42 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Metric system, lol.
Hey Starter, how ya doing? You realize only 3 countries on Earth still use the Imperial system: Liberia, Myanmar and the good ole U.S. of A. Strange bedfellows. The UK uses a mixed system (still use miles but everything else is metric) here in Canada we use metric for most but personal weight and height are usually in lbs and inches for us older folks. Old habits are hard to change.

Just thought I’d throw that in. Since I sold my Boxster I feel left out.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 07:18 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Hey Starter, how ya doing? You realize only 3 countries on Earth still use the Imperial system: Liberia, Myanmar and the good ole U.S. of A. Strange bedfellows. The UK uses a mixed system (still use miles but everything else is metric) here in Canada we use metric for most but personal weight and height are usually in lbs and inches for us older folks. Old habits are hard to change.

Just thought I’d throw that in. Since I sold my Boxster I feel left out.
I remember the big metric push when I was in 5th... 6th grade... around 72'... 73'. Ughhhh.

When are you getting another Boxster? Or sports car? You're not going anywhere...
Old 08-27-2023, 06:14 AM   #9
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post

When are you getting another Boxster? Or sports car? You're not going anywhere...
The garage where I kept my Boxster is now a wood working shop. We’ll see it the wood work bug out lasts my desire for another sports car…..

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote