Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2023, 05:08 AM   #1

Boxster on 4-point lift for months

Hi fellow 986ers,

First post - thanks for letting me join.

I have been going through the engine on my 986 and have had it on the lift (QuickJack) for several months with the support members off the bottom of the engine (supported by an engine support bar). I was just showing it to a plumber and telling him about what I’ve been doing with it. He mentioned that you shouldn’t open the doors when it’s on the lift because it can bend the frame. I hadn’t heard this before but I was wondering if anyone on here can corroborate that? Hoping I haven’t inadvertently messed up the car! 😬

Thanks!

Aaron

rntrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:50 AM   #2

I doubt that you will harm the frame by opening the doors with the car on jack stands.

However, the manual tells you Not to leave the car hanging on the air with the suspension hanging on as this may damage (or put unnecessary stress) on the rubber components of the suspension, the car is supposed to be stored with the suspension loaded..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 12:21 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntrg View Post
Hi fellow 986ers,
... I was just showing it to a plumber and telling him about what I’ve been doing with it. He mentioned that you shouldn’t open the doors when it’s on the lift because it can bend the frame. I hadn’t heard this before but I was wondering if anyone on here can corroborate that? Hoping I haven’t inadvertently messed up the car! 😬

Thanks!

Aaron
I would put this under the heading of urbain (or rural) myths. My cars have all spent considerable time on my Quickjacks, doors opened and doors closed depending what I was doing, with no problems.

I find it strange that the static force of the suspension hanging down would cause problems compared to the dynamic forces of driving over local (our) roads or more extreme situations like railroad crossings or hill crests where the car gets light before coming back down hard on the suspension.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
I would put this under the heading of urbain (or rural) myths. My cars have all spent considerable time on my Quickjacks, doors opened and doors closed depending what I was doing, with no problems.

I find it strange that the static force of the suspension hanging down would cause problems compared to the dynamic forces of driving over local (our) roads or more extreme situations like railroad crossings or hill crests where the car gets light before coming back down hard on the suspension.
It is real enough for Porsche to release a TSB back in the day about how to check a vehicle for signs of exactly this behavior, suggesting voiding the warranty if the evidence is found.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:09 AM   #5

Ugh… well I guess I tend to learn the hard way. 🤦****♂️

Thanks for the responses / guidance! Much appreciated. Wish me luck!

rntrg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags