Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #1

Fix or delete secondary air injection

I've recently developed P0410 and P1411 on a 130,000 mile, 2000 Boxster S. I've been messing around with the intake and whatnot to replace the power steering reservoir, AOS, and the purge valve so I'm it's likely I've got a vacuum leak I created. I've smoke tested and fixed a couple of vacuum leaks (one large) but the codes keep returning. Rather than pull things apart again to look for leaks and potentially replace parts I was considering doing a mail-in ROW tune and then just deleting the SAI system. Then I'd bypass the SAI and ensure the new, simpler vacuum circuit is leak free.

Any reason not to do this besides emissions testing? I'm close to being able to register the car as an antique and then I'll be exempt from inspections and emissions testing.

Jeffd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 02:58 PM   #2

Following. Curious about the mail in ROW tune.
wiebuschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:58 PM   #3

Take a look at the oneway valve (black&white color) that operates the SAI system. It is connected directly to the intake plenum cross 'pipe' and if it is wrong way around, it will most likely throw these codes.
I can't remember which - black OR white - side should be towars the plenum, but this is no-dollars fix if that's the issue for your codes.
Location for the valve is a bit tough, but doable and much much easier than AOS change.

This is the part you should be looking for:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/96411095002.htm?pn=964-110-950-02-M244
Old 07-20-2023, 04:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Take a look at the oneway valve (black&white color) that operates the SAI system.
I didn’t mess with that but I probably need to smoke test after that check valve. I connected the smoker last time to the intake manifold and the smoke wouldn’t have been able to go through this check valve.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:10 AM   #5

I have the same question and real concerns about creating other issues if I investigate deeper to find the root issue by removing the intake manifold. I have the same codes P0410 and P1411. I can confirm that the secondary air pump cycles with a cold start. What else can I access without removing the intake? Is it more cost effective (do no harm) to have a ROW tune applied?
gdotcvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 03:56 PM   #6

Well, I didn’t find a “smoking gun” but in the process of removing the intake tubes and going back through all of the vacuum junctions that I possibly could have knocked loose during the previous work I guess I seated something better and now I’m not getting the codes anymore. I went through everything that was reachable without removing the right intake manifold then I smoked it, found no leaks, buttoned it all back up and now I’ve driven it about 180 miles with several cold starts and the CEL/codes haven’t returned. So, I guess I won’t be pursing the ROW tune for now. I did find a couple of vendors online that would do it for about $500 with a bit of a performance tune to add a few HP and what not.
Old 07-28-2023, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffd View Post
I've recently developed P0410 and P1411 on a 130,000 mile, 2000 Boxster S. I've been messing around with the intake and whatnot to replace the power steering reservoir, AOS, and the purge valve so I'm it's likely I've got a vacuum leak I created. I've smoke tested and fixed a couple of vacuum leaks (one large) but the codes keep returning. Rather than pull things apart again to look for leaks and potentially replace parts I was considering doing a mail-in ROW tune and then just deleting the SAI system. Then I'd bypass the SAI and ensure the new, simpler vacuum circuit is leak free.

Any reason not to do this besides emissions testing? I'm close to being able to register the car as an antique and then I'll be exempt from inspections and emissions testing.
Hey, let me level with you man.

i haven't finished it yet, but if you want, you can try what im doing. almost the exact same issue. 986 2000 boxter S, arctic silver.

p04110 and p1411, vacuum leak repair got rid of p1411. now, im sautering a resistor in place of the injection output sensor, to make the ecm (hopefully) not give the code.

as far as im aware, the intended voltage is 1.5V.

the good delete kit, (that wont give a code) is a lot more expensive than a resistor and a suatering iron.
noboi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 04:15 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noboi4 View Post

i haven't finished it yet, but if you want, you can try what im doing. almost the exact same issue. 986 2000 boxter S, arctic silver.

p04110 and p1411, vacuum leak repair got rid of p1411. now, im sautering a resistor in place of the injection output sensor, to make the ecm (hopefully) not give the code.

the good delete kit, (that wont give a code) is a lot more expensive than a resistor and a suatering iron.
This will end badly.

It's spelled "soldering", by the way. I don't think you should be doing it.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 04:52 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by noboi4 View Post

Holy **************** these AI bots are getting good.
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 04:56 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Holy **************** these AI bots are getting good.
Man, I hope you're right.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote