Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #21

I can't remember where I read it but the Shelby Mustang engine is detuned and there is supposedly lots more bhp waiting to be unleashed. I believe the Mustangs are speed limited to 155 mph. Not sure about the Shelby.

i think it is great that there are so many performance car choices out there now.

Last edited by wild1poet2; 11-27-2006 at 12:35 PM.
wild1poet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #22

The Shelby has 205 hp more power and weighs 767 lbs more than the Cayman S. Taking on the twisties on my Sunday morning run with FIVE guys riding along? Thanks, but no thanks. Eight girls, maybe.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:04 PM   #23

Shelby v. Boxster

well I would hope that 500 HP would ensure the sub 300 HP 987/986 an ass handing. If it didn't it would be downright embarrasing.

equally powered (I rented a v6 slushbox) I don't think the Moostang is anwhere even close to the Boxster in any sportscar (left and right turns) way.
The brakes were awful--off ---on. Steering was similar to Crysler Sebring I rented earlier. And throttle was just as primitive as the brakes.
I like muscle cars but that thing had neither the looks nor the power rush of muscle car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Regarding the Shelby, I don't believe that 2 seconds is close when you have the top three cars all within 0.5 seconds of each other. Even if the engine was running properly, the time made up in the straights would be minor compared to what it loses in the corners.

BTW - I thought it was a great article and hopefully they will keep using this comparison in the future.
FWIW, the time diff was 1.5 seconds, not 2. And it's a huge assumption backed up by no facts that "the time made up in the straights would be minor" if the Shelby weren't sick. We just don't know.

Finally, my whole point was that this thread smacks of snobbery against anything not Porsche. The Shelby was being dismissed because it is a Ford, and that's a mistake. Look at what won the shootout. A Ford GT.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Shelby v. Boxster

well I would hope that 500 HP would ensure the sub 300 HP 987/986 an ass handing. If it didn't it would be downright embarrasing.

equally powered (I rented a v6 slushbox) I don't think the Moostang is anwhere even close to the Boxster in any sportscar (left and right turns) way.
The brakes were awful--off ---on. Steering was similar to Crysler Sebring I rented earlier. And throttle was just as primitive as the brakes.
I like muscle cars but that thing had neither the looks nor the power rush of muscle car.
I did the same a while back... rented a v6 auto Mustang. You're right... it was "unrefined" to say it nicely. But I did keep in mind it was a base-model rental beater with all season tires. The v6 rentals don't have the good parts, not that they will bring the experience up to Porsche standards. Hey... 20 grand plus a 10 grand savings account for the unexpected new engine should buy you something, huh?
Old 11-27-2006, 02:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
FWIW, the time diff was 1.5 seconds, not 2. And it's a huge assumption backed up by no facts that "the time made up in the straights would be minor" if the Shelby weren't sick. We just don't know.

Finally, my whole point was that this thread smacks of snobbery against anything not Porsche. The Shelby was being dismissed because it is a Ford, and that's a mistake. Look at what won the shootout. A Ford GT.
Just your opinion. I didn't see any snobbery at all. Is someone a snob just because he prefers a lighter and more agile roadster to a much heavier but more powerful GT? Different people prefer different cars, and prefer to pay up for different attributes. Some pay up for raw power. Others pay up for superior engineering that keeps weight low without sacrificing comfort and rigidity.

Frankly, considering that this is a Porsche Boxster forum, I would say that most other cars get a fair treatment, especially when compared to other forums. For some reason you care very much about "d**k" stereotypes which are mostly spread by "d**ks" anyway.

Z.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Just your opinion. I didn't see any snobbery at all. Is someone a snob just because he prefers a lighter and more agile roadster to a much heavier but more powerful GT? Different people prefer different cars, and prefer to pay up for different attributes. Some pay up for raw power. Others pay up for superior engineering that keeps weight low without sacrificing comfort and rigidity.

Frankly, considering that this is a Porsche Boxster forum, I would say that most other cars get a fair treatment, especially when compared to other forums. For some reason you care very much about "d**k" stereotypes which are mostly spread by "d**ks" anyway.

Z.
Remove that chip from your shoulder, Z. I seemed to have hit a nerve with you. Maybe you saw yourself in there somewhere?
In any case, I seriously doubt you have a clue what I care about.
Have a nice day.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Remove that chip from your shoulder, Z. I seemed to have hit a nerve with you. Maybe you saw yourself in there somewhere?
In any case, I seriously doubt you have a clue what I care about.
Have a nice day.
Jack didn't mean to be insulting, so if you saw it that way, I apologize.
Peace.
Z.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Jack didn't mean to be insulting, so if you saw it that way, I apologize.
Peace.
Z.
Fair enough... the written word is easily taken the wrong way. My bad.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #30

Quote:

Since I started the thread primarily about the commercial and the use of the Carrera in it, I feel obligated to respond. Call it what you wish however, loyalty to a brand and espousing its superiority did not start with Porsche owners. If you take a look back in history, GM and Ford represent one of the longest standing rivalries in the history of automakers. Yet no one seems compelled to call a GM owner "elitest snob" if they have a picture of Calvin pissing on a Ford decal on thier back window, why is that? Just because we may be proud of our vehicles and thier capabilities does not make us snobs.

Jack, I would bet my paycheck, small as it may be, that the GT 500 would still lose out against any of these cars besides the Dodge. Simply saying since it has 500hp does not make it any faster through the track. If this were the case, then the first place winner at 190hp would not have been a factor. Keep in mind the Lotus had the lowest hp in the group and the closest delta in hp was the Cayman S which it beat, and the Cayman had 105 more horses. So the moral of the story is horsepower does not a fast car make.

Last edited by SigmaPi; 11-27-2006 at 04:11 PM.
SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #31
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaPi
So the moral of the story is horsepower does not a fast car make.

SigmaPi, I love your "Yoda" quote at the end!
Old 11-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #32

Quote:
So the moral of the story is horsepower does not a fast car make.
Okaaaaaayyyyy...If you say so...

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Jack, I would bet my paycheck, small as it may be, that the GT 500 would still lose out against any of these cars besides the Dodge. Simply saying since it has 500hp does not make it any faster through the track. If this were the case, then the first place winner at 190hp would not have been a factor. Keep in mind the Lotus had the lowest hp in the group and the closest delta in hp was the Cayman S which it beat, and the Cayman had 105 more horses. So the moral of the story is horsepower does not a fast car make.
The Elise is a car that few can live with as a daily driver. It's a track car. Throw in a "track package" which includes gumball tires the article said "wouldn't last 2000 miles on the street", and it's no wonder the Elise topped the group.

But we all know that there are tracks where you can run momentum cars successfully, and other tracks where they really suffer. When the momentum cars suffer, the horsepower cars shine. However, in daily life on the street, we don't live in a momentum world. Horsepower is king.

If you run up on a Shelby on the street, he'll eat you alive. If you see him on a track, it's my wager with him hitting on all 8 cylinders, he'll likely do the same. The ride just won't be nearly as much fun in the Shelby.

We've beaten this to death. We'll just have to wait on the next test, with a healthy Shelby, to see how it compares. Until then, it's all just opinion.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #34

Comparing a Shelby GT500 and a Boxster is absurd...kind of like...well...a kangaroo....wait for it....SHOPPING! OK, React.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #35
FIG

OI!

Leave our native animals out of this
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:12 AM   #36

I have always wanted to eat one....I am slowly eating my way through the animal kingdom. Kind of a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIG
OI!

Leave our native animals out of this
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:49 AM   #37

Superman can kick Batman's ass!
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsquire
That's been Photoshopped! There's no way Superman can kick Batman's ass!
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #39

Kazakhstan produces way more potassium than Uzbekistan.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsquire
I don't think I have ever seen someone that looks like a Mr. Universe body builder (like that Batman and Superman) be able to move quick enough to kick anyone's ass. Look at the Floyd Mayweathers and DeLaHoyas, they'll knock just about everyone in the room out cold and they are both barely 320 pounds of lean muscle combined. Cartoonist have some weird perspective of the super human male(Swarznegger) and female(with torpedo boobs) shape.

anyway....back to cars.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote