Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2023, 05:23 AM   #1

Loose Throttle Cable After Removing Throttle Body: How to Take Out the Slack?

I recently purchased my 2nd Boxster Boxster (1998, Ocean Blue/Gray, 72K miles).

It had a failing starter motor (the gear pinion-not-retracting-quickly problem).

I replaced the starter and thought I had put it all back together correctly.

I drove it 2-3 times without incident, but the last time I pulled out of the garage, the throttle went limp.

Popping the engine top, I found that the exposed throttle cable had slipped off of the semi-circular metal guide that runs the throttle cable over the throttle body spring.

The cable seems to have a bit of slack in it. It can be pulled to the side of the semi-c

Is there a way to take the slack out?

At the throttle body, there seems to be an 11mm nut in a plastic nipple on the end of the cable sleeve/sheath that could be an adjuster (like you see on bicycle brakes). I tried to turn this but nothing happened.

austinporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 06:51 AM   #2

So no one has ever had the throttle cable jump off the guide/spring cover on the throttle body?

I was re-installing the undershield covering the coolant plumbing (I flushed the cooling system) and noticed that the throttle cable has a plastic redirection(?) guide on the underside of the carriage, but as with the throttle body, no obvious way to take out the slack.

Last edited by austinporsche; 05-20-2023 at 06:54 AM.
austinporsche is offline   Reply With Quote