Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2023, 03:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Sounds like you have a multimeter. Start tracing voltage from the battery and move down the circuit path until you no longer have voltage.

Do you have 12.9v to ground at the line side of the kill switch? If so, do you have 12.9v to ground at the load side of the switch once you’ve turned it to the on position?

I’ve never been around a Boxster race car, but used to race a Formula Ford. Much simpler wiring scheme on a race car. This shouldn’t be too hard to figure out.
Seems like have 12.9.on all points

gtsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 03:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Racer thing -- not on a street car.

Since you have a voltmeter -- start measuring voltages at different places around the car -- find an online wiring diagram to find the locations you should have 12v.

Especially check the connector at the front/top of the engine compartment. It sort of a jumped box from the engine area to the front of the car (and your battery). It's a simple post with a 10 or 13mm nut that could have worked its way loose.

There is also the fuse box behind/under the dash/glovebox (if you have one) that connects to the battery and has some master fuses there.

Mike
Will check some more. Did check 80 amp fuses, seems fine.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
This fuse box has a rod that goes through the firewall and plugs with the + battery cable (with a funky connector), this is where the failure occurred on my 987.. just giggle the cable (at this connector) with the ignition on, to see if you regain power.
I looked for that funky connector but could not locate anything similar.
Will search more.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:31 PM   #24

Quote:

Since you have a voltmeter -- start measuring voltages at different places around the car -- find an online wiring diagram to find the locations you should have 12v.

Especially check the connector at the front/top of the engine compartment. It sort of a jumped box from the engine area to the front of the car (and your battery). It's a simple post with a 10 or 13mm nut that could have worked its way loose.

There is also the fuse box behind/under the dash/glovebox (if you have one) that connects to the battery and has some master fuses there.

Mike
I checked that, looks good.
Just removed the alternator today, will be taking it to O'Reilly tomorrow. Found little cylindrical piece behind it on the top of the engine bay.
Have no idea what it is.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:34 PM   #25

Here;s another photo of the piece.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:16 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsracer View Post
Seems like have 12.9.on all points
Keep going. Where does the switched 12 volts go from the switch? Keep following that 12 volts until it stops and that’s where your problem is
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Keep going. Where does the switched 12 volts go from the switch? Keep following that 12 volts until it stops and that’s where your problem is
Will do. Thank Bill and all 986 guys..
Old 05-10-2023, 02:18 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoradeschi View Post
Re-reading your original post, what’s this “kill switch” you refer to?
Quote:
D’oh. Missed that completely
Old 05-10-2023, 05:14 AM   #29
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsracer View Post
Here;s another photo of the piece.

Don't lose that piece. That is for the alternator bracet. That piece will slip in a hole in the bracket, if correctly I remember/it's been a few years since I pulled my alternator).

The bottom or top bolt that holds the alternator in place will go through that piece.

Unless you're taaking the car to a mechanic... look at parts diagrams so YOU know what that piece is for. No biggy, just don't lose it.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Don't lose that piece. That is for the alternator bracet. That piece will slip in a hole in the bracket, if correctly I remember/it's been a few years since I pulled my alternator).

The bottom or top bolt that holds the alternator in place will go through that piece.

Unless you're taaking the car to a mechanic... look at parts diagrams so YOU know what that piece is for. No biggy, just don't lose it.
But this one has no treads. I got the treaded piece I already hammered back to a normal position for the bolt to engage.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:18 AM   #31

So, today I took the alternator for O'Reilly to test but apparently they are not able to test manual gearbox alternator due to the pulley being clutch type. Go figure...
Old 05-10-2023, 09:49 AM   #32

Where do you have 12.9v? Where do you not?

I had a Spec Boxster that would not start -- but I got the display, but just crank and no fire.
Turned out I had the DME in fuel remap programming mode, by incorrectly sending a 5v signal to the DME.
This is unlikely you're issue.

Right now, if my battery is low-ish, I seem to have to cycle my kill switch a few times to get my display to come on, and thus be able to start my SPB. I monitor the voltage -- and it seems high enough so I'm not 100% sure why that is happening -- I have not diagnosed it any further -- but I plan to replace the battery (mini-ATV battery) before this race season.

Just a datapoint for you.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Where do you have 12.9v? Where do you not?

I had a Spec Boxster that would not start -- but I got the display, but just crank and no fire.
Turned out I had the DME in fuel remap programming mode, by incorrectly sending a 5v signal to the DME.
This is unlikely you're issue.

Right now, if my battery is low-ish, I seem to have to cycle my kill switch a few times to get my display to come on, and thus be able to start my SPB. I monitor the voltage -- and it seems high enough so I'm not 100% sure why that is happening -- I have not diagnosed it any further -- but I plan to replace the battery (mini-ATV battery) before this race season.

Just a datapoint for you.

Mike
Appreciate your input Mike. I will be reinstalling the alternator after verify it's ok. Got the new voltage regulator but before changing it wanted to make sure the current one is bad. I hope it is bad.
Old 05-15-2023, 01:30 PM   #34

Garage
@gtstacer - whenever you’ve found your issue, please post here to let us know. So often folks post for answers and then disappear. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:48 PM   #35

Quote:
@gtstacer - whenever you’ve found your issue, please post here to let us know. So often folks post for answers and then disappear. Thanks.
Have not found the cure yet. Replaced the alternator voltage regulator but did not help.
Had limited time to work on it. Will keep you all updated. Thanks for checking on me.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:16 PM   #36

Smile Solved

OK, everyone, found the problem. The issue was the defective kill switch, when checked power to the main fuses it was zero amp. Strange, because I thought that was first thing I checked but I guess not.
Connected positive with the main fuse wire and car started like a champ. Thank you all for the help.
Old 07-13-2023, 03:56 AM   #37

Garage
Glad you got it sorted!

Tags
electrical problem , porsche 986 no power