Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2023, 12:07 PM   #1

20 hour trip MN to TX

Hi all. First post here thanks for having me. I’m buying a 98 5 speed (my first Porsche) from a friend of mine in MN and driving it back to TX in a couple weeks. My friend is a meticulously anal person and has taken great care of this boxster. Since he bought a 718 GTS and a Ferrari the 986 hasn’t gotten a ton use. It’s gotten about 500 miles in the last two years. The tires are a couple years old and he had it serviced last in late ‘21. Car has 95,000 miles and clutch and IMS were done around the 70,000 mark.

All this to ask, am I crazy to drive this car 20 hours home all alone? He started it up for the first time this year and it cranked right up and purred like a kitten last week. Besides the phone number to roadside service what do I absolutely need to have with me? I’m decently mechanical but have zero experience with a boxster so maybe some tire slime and a flashlight?

Thanks all.

Zogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:50 PM   #2

Where was it stored kept those years it wasn't running? Outside? Garage? or a climate-controlled storage space? If outside, or even a garage, I'd open the engine compartment and look for signs of critters nesting in there and possibly causing some damage. (although it's a good sign it started up and runs good) While you're in the engine compartment I'd check the serpentine belt. Take the belt off and check all the pulleys for play.

If stored outside I'd check the tires for dry rot (small cracks) and the brakes. Maybe get yourself a AAA subscription, if you don't have one.

Other than that, enjoy the drive.
Old 04-22-2023, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Where was it stored kept those years it wasn't running? Outside? Garage? or a climate-controlled storage space? If outside, or even a garage, I'd open the engine compartment and look for signs of critters nesting in there and possibly causing some damage. (although it's a good sign it started up and runs good) While you're in the engine compartment I'd check the serpentine belt. Take the belt off and check all the pulleys for play.

If stored outside I'd check the tires for dry rot (small cracks) and the brakes. Maybe get yourself a AAA subscription, if you don't have one.

Other than that, enjoy the drive.
Yeah it’s been in climate controlled outbuilding and has been driven each summer it’s just had very little miles.
Old 04-22-2023, 04:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
Yeah it’s been in climate controlled outbuilding and has been driven each summer it’s just had very little miles.
t\Then I'd still check the serpentine belt and pulleys.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:33 PM   #5

Buy a Triple A policy and drive it home. It'll be fine. I bought a 2003 Box S with over 100K miles in Austin TX a few years ago. Flew in, picked it up at Airport and drove it 850 miles home. These are solid cars and you know the owner...Have fun!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:14 PM   #6

Think I'd have your friend drive it for 30-60 min, then check for any issues the next day. If it passes that test, no problem driving to TX. Great way to get to know a new purchase.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #7
Registered Member

Go to the store and buy a jug or two of distilled water to put in the bonnet in case it overheats. Although if you’re in MN it’s probably still cold as hell .

Would replace the pulley belt for 20$ so you know it’s not brittle. I imagine the cold temperatures aren’t great for those. Takes 15 mins and you just need a 24mm socket or Monkeywrench.

AAA will be a good insurance policy. Drink coffee. Break it up into 2 days. Have a blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dramabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Think I'd have your friend drive it for 30-60 min, then check for any issues the next day. If it passes that test, no problem driving to TX. Great way to get to know a new purchase.
He did take it for a spin around the neighborhood, probably 20 mins. I may ask him to do it again before I get there.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:00 PM   #9

Garage
Congrats Get AAA and enjoy the drive. I bought mine in Atlanta 11 years ago and drove it back to Texas over a 3 day period. Take the long way home!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:27 AM   #10

I agree with the serpentine belt replacement and some water for overheating. I'd also check the wipers- nothing like crappy wipers in a pouring rain.
gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Congrats Get AAA and enjoy the drive. I bought mine in Atlanta 11 years ago and drove it back to Texas over a 3 day period. Take the long way home!
I did the same thing with my 2001 Rain Forest Green Boxster S 11 years ago! Except it was from Chico, CA to Milwaukee, WI. And a 3 day period! We might be brothers from different Boxster mothers.

To the OP - I agree with the others. You are buying from somebody you know has maintained this car well. Get AAA for ease of mind and drive home with confidence.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 02:38 AM   #12

Garage
Can't hurt to change the serpentine belt, and keep the old one for emergencies and ad a wrench that fits the tensioner bolt to the tool kit. Make sure that the 10mm wrench is in the kit (to remove the front engine cover) or add a small ratchet kit that goes up to 13mm. Also check the spare tire and make sure that you are capable of removing the wheel bolts with the tool that is in the tool kit, some shops love to over torque wheel fasteners to the point where in car tools are not able to loosen them!
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:02 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear61 View Post
I did the same thing with my 2001 Rain Forest Green Boxster S 11 years ago! Except it was from Chico, CA to Milwaukee, WI. And a 3 day period! We might be brothers from different Boxster mothers.

To the OP - I agree with the others. You are buying from somebody you know has maintained this car well. Get AAA for ease of mind and drive home with confidence.

DBear
Probably! I am originally from Wisconsin, my sister and her family live in the Milwaukee area
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 05-05-2023, 09:22 PM   #14
Registered Member

How was the drive?

dramabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 03:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramabean View Post
How was the drive?

I’m setting off right now, 6:30 am central time from Cohassett MN.
Old 05-06-2023, 03:47 AM   #16

Garage
Have a safe and fun drive. I did a similar one (Baton Rouge to Wilmington NC) many years ago when I bought a ‘97 Mercedes E300 with 380,000 miles on odo and drove it back home. Had a great time!
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 02:39 PM   #17

We made it to KC today! 10.5 hrs with some short stops for fuel and snacks, final 2 hrs with the top down. She ran like a champ. My daughter: “Dad, I like your new car but I don’t think it’s good for this long of a road trip”.

We’re off to a Royals game and back at it tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:59 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
We made it to KC today! 10.5 hrs with some short stops for fuel and snacks, final 2 hrs with the top down. She ran like a champ. My daughter: “Dad, I like your new car but I don’t think it’s good for this long of a road trip”.

We’re off to a Royals game and back at it tomorrow.
What does she know?! It's great for a long trip Have a safe, fun trip!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 05-07-2023, 04:35 PM   #19

We made it! 21.5 hours of travel time. My kid was totally over it today, but I’m still in love. At 6’4” it’s a bit tight but I could do it again tomorrow! The 986 never missed a beat!

It fit in the garage with no issues, now I need to figure out the loud squeal at speed. It was maddening, definitely coming from molding or weatherstrip somewhere around the windshield. Is that a common problem?
Old 05-07-2023, 05:37 PM   #20

Quote:
We made it! 21.5 hours of travel time. My kid was totally over it today, but I’m still in love. At 6’4” it’s a bit tight but I could do it again tomorrow! The 986 never missed a beat!

It fit in the garage with no issues, now I need to figure out the loud squeal at speed. It was maddening, definitely coming from molding or weatherstrip somewhere around the windshield. Is that a common problem?
If it was speed dependent, it may be the gap between the hood and top of the bumper. You can confirm by running some blue painters tape from headlight to headlight over the gap and take a drive. I'll bet the sound will be gone.

Search to find how to adjust your bumper but messing with the bumper will get rid of the sound.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote