Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2023, 11:05 AM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Just Bought a Terrible 1999

I had three current Boxster project cars and the last thing I need is yet-another Boxster project car. The thing is, sometimes you have to buy them when they are for sale rather than waiting 'till the time is right. This one is very rough. It is a great example of what to look out for if you are buying a 986. It runs and drives, but the body is rough, it has no records of maintenance, there have been questionable repairs, the transmission has problems, and the interior is trashed. For me, it is exactly what I want. I like to be creative in restoring and modifying these. Buying a car that's in great shape is actually of little interest to me. I have a lot of parts and this looks like a good place to use them.

I will probably start a thread later in the 'Show and Tell' section of the forum once I really get to work on it, but for now I'll leave you this:

Old 03-31-2023, 11:31 AM   #2

Garage
Wow, that`s a beater! Literally. A love the S, that`s an additional 50 HP for sure. Why do you think the window does not stay down after you open the door? Mine is doing the same. Seems like the car thinks the top is down, but it`s not, at least the check light goes off on the dash.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:38 PM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
WOW LOL WTF? I think the hood badge looks ok maybe? I have never seen any car that rough I don't think.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:47 PM   #4

There are no terrible '99s. Some are just better than others!

You're a braver man than me, my Friend!
Old 04-01-2023, 04:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Wow, that`s a beater! Literally. A love the S, that`s an additional 50 HP for sure. Why do you think the window does not stay down after you open the door? Mine is doing the same. Seems like the car thinks the top is down, but it`s not, at least the check light goes off on the dash.
One of the microswitches in the door latch has failed. Actually, the switch itself is probably just fine, but the plastic bit that sits on the actuating cam has worn out, so the cam no longer depresses the switch enough to make it change from off to on (or vice versa, I forget which). Latch replacement is the only solution I see (and I spent a bunch of time and energy trying to engineer a solution to the problem first).
Old 04-01-2023, 05:50 AM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Here's a couple threads with discussion about that:

VW do latch/actuator

Door Lock Mechanism Malfunction (window springs back up) -What's Really Going On?

As noted somewhere in there the VW part that I used was different electronically and caused the lock to malfunction. Using the mechanical parts from the cheap VW part with the Boxster electronics has worked well.

On this car I'm going to try the Audi TT door latch. I have a 2000 model (engine donor for another project) to pull the part from. "8N1-837-015-B" - available on eBay new for about $30.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:10 AM   #7

What a project!!!
I would be curious what you bought the car for?
I'd also be curious, based on your expertise, what you think it will cost to fix?
(ie: just the parts cost, because I assume you're doing the labor yourself).

...and what's your eventual plan for the car? (drive it, sell it, trade it?)
Old 04-01-2023, 07:03 AM   #8

Garage
Thanks Tcoradeschi and 78F350 for the input! It does work every third time or so, it may be that circuit board with the small microswitches in the second video. I replaced and rekeyed the door lock cylinder recently, now I have to go back
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 08:47 AM   #9

Garage
Wow! I hope they paid you to take it!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:52 AM   #10

Sounds like you've signed yourself up for an adventure.

Bush Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote