Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #1

986.2 misfire at high rpm

Hello all!

I've currently been trying to hunt down the cause of the misfires on my 2003 Boxster S with 84k miles. It started off as a Bank 1 Knock sensor, which was replaced. After changing the fault for the censor went away but the misfire still persisted. The codes are P0300, P0301, and P0304. Afterwards I read on forums and replaced the spark plugs, and coil packs. Even after replacing those, the codes still persist. It's an awkward case since the car doesn't misfire till it hits 5,000 rpm and pulls hard up until then. I've switched around the spark plugs and coil packs with no luck. Has anyone else encountered something of this nature before? The air filter I've replaced, and the IMS was replaced at 79,000 miles. I'm currently at a loss on what it could be. I don't see any bore scoring, compression is great on all cylinders. I'm stuck on what could be the cause of the high rpm misfires.

I greatly appreciate anyone's help! Thank you!

liquidfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:33 PM   #2

Not sure about the codes, but my initial thought is fueling issue. It could be a flow restriction for the entire system (filter) or for a single cylinder (injector). Low fuel will run lean and knock.

If the codes are bank specific, start with the injectors. The easiest thing to do there would be swap the injector from bank 1 to bank 2 and vice versa if the codes then switch banks, you have your issue

If they codes are both banks, check the fuel pump flow volumes. If it's low, either the pump or the filter are likely culprits (I'd start with the filter)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by ike84; 03-28-2023 at 04:04 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 02:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Not sure about the codes, but my initial thought is fueling issue. It could be a flow restriction for the entire system (filter) or for a single cylinder (injector). Low fuel will run lean and knock.

If the codes are bank specific, start with the injectors. The easiest thing to do there would be swap the injector from bank 1 to bank 2 and vice versa if the codes then switch banks, you have your issue

If they codes are both banks, check the fuel pump flow volumes. If it's low, either the pump or the filter are likely culprits (I'd start with the filter)

Those codes are for misfires in cylinders 1 & 4.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:28 PM   #4

1 and 4 are the closest cylinders to the front firewall on either side. If 5 and 6 arent knocking, the system is likely getting enough fuel as a whole (5 and 6 are the last cylinders to receive fuel along the lines).

Id start with moving injectors around and see if the knock follows.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
1 and 4 are the closest cylinders to the front firewall on either side. If 5 and 6 arent knocking, the system is likely getting enough fuel as a whole (5 and 6 are the last cylinders to receive fuel along the lines).

Id start with moving injectors around and see if the knock follows.

It's been awhile due to work but as an update. I got a durametric diag tool. Fuel trim, and everything is reading properly. I'll take your advice here and move the injectors to see if it causes any issues. I did notice that on Bank 2, there's no cam deviation it's stuck at 0.00 while bank 1 reads 1.20. When I look at the actual angle readings, it reads just fine and updates as rpm increases. So is there an issue here or it's something to not gawk at whatsoever? I know that it's supposed to read but I'm unsure what's going on.
liquidfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:31 AM   #6

Garage
I wonder if the variocam solenoid is failing here, as ~5000 is when it kicks over to the high RPM profile. At least being a 986.2 it's easier to replace than the earlier models (it can be removed without removing the valve cover in a 986.2.)