Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2023, 02:04 PM   #1

Topic: CFD, Aerodynamics, aero,Anyone have a Post-Processed CFD model for a boxster?

Hey everyone,

Have a '97 boxster I've been daily driving for nearly 4 years and loved every minute of it. Probably should have kept up with the forum but life got busy and forgot about this great resource on 986 forum.

I have been working on my PhD for a few years now, focusing in motorsports and concentrating in CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) for motorsports applications. My goal is to work in F1 or for an OEM in racing and I have always wanted to run high fidelity, high resolution simulations on my car and look at ways it can be improved or see how effective that rear spoiler really is at 70 mph.

If anyone has a resource for a well post-processed CFD model, I will post all of my findings and my data for everyone to learn from. As an owner of a 2.5 M96, we can take every advantage we can get on the road lol.

Also, if anyone has any questions or looking for guidance in terms of functional aero, please please feel free to reach out and I will do the best I can to make sure you make an informed decision. I am looking to build my relationship with this community and will be more than happy to simplify the 3+ years of agony in school into more reasonable terms people can make sense of!

Kind regards and if you hit redline once a day it keeps the doctor away!

Sam

griengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:12 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Welcome

You seem to be someone that actually understands the impact of bolting bits of plastic, fiberglass or carbon fiber to the car to improve performance without actually testing to see what impact it will have. They have been many that put wings, spoilers and other stuff on their car that they think looks cool and will improve performance, without modeling or testing and would guess they don't improve, but harm performance

Good luck in your endeavor and hopefully some positive results
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:46 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I think the last we heard from Fred was in 2020 and that he was fleeing Shanghai and heading to Mongolia. Hopefully he's alive and well somewhere in Canada now. Anyway, he had a model and presented us with some pictures. You may find a trail to what you seek in his posts. I know that he discussed it with someone else who was interested.

Here's his main CFD thread: Boxster 986 Aerodynamics @180km/hr

Here's his old Flickr album with a few pics he grabbed of the flow: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gtcollection/
Old 03-24-2023, 05:12 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
I had forgotten that Fred did some CFD modeling on the 986
Yea, I hope he is well

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote