Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2023, 08:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Garage
Flywheel replace really required with new clutch.

I am having the IMS bearing upgrade in my 2004 BoxsterS and want to replace the clutch while this work is done. The car has 68,000 miles and the clutch doesn’t show signs of where but it save most of the labor while the IMS work is done.

The reputable shop I am working with wants to replace the flywheel also which adds $1,100 to the cost. Isn’t.there an inspection that can be done on the flywheel for reuse?

muledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledog View Post
I am having the IMS bearing upgrade in my 2004 BoxsterS and want to replace the clutch while this work is done. The car has 68,000 miles and the clutch doesn’t show signs of where but it save most of the labor while the IMS work is done.

The reputable shop I am working with wants to replace the flywheel also which adds $1,100 to the cost. Isn’t.there an inspection that can be done on the flywheel for reuse?
The dual mass flywheel is tested with a rotation test to see if the two sections rotate away from each other and then correctly return. It is a "go/no go" type test, it either passes or it doesn't. If the flywheel shows signs of being "burned" due to heat from clutch slippage, it also has to be replaced as dual mass flywheels cannot be resurfaced.

https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/sachs-service-flywheel-check
Old 03-02-2023, 10:13 AM   #3

Makes sense that they would recommend putting a new one in while in there. And honestly, from what I'm seeing $1100 is peanuts when it comes to car repairs these days.
Bush Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 10:31 AM   #4

The basic issue with any "take it all apart" repair on these cars, like updating the IMS or RMS, by far the biggest part of the bill is labor; so it makes economic sense to replace everything in one go, otherwise you will just be paying for the labor again in the near future. This is also why we always replace the AOS while we have the trans out; it is a five min. job when the gear box is out of the way, not so much when it is installed. Same goes for the coolant reservoir if it is at all questionable.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 03-02-2023 at 01:00 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 12:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I only ask about flywheel reuse because it doubles the cost of the clutch portion of the repair.

The cost to perform the test is surely low in comparison to a new flywheel. I will see if my shop can perform it.

Last edited by muledog; 03-02-2023 at 12:46 PM.
muledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 01:00 PM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
I might get flamed, but $1100 extra for a flywheel seems a bit $$$ as its kind of a "while you are in there" thing and you can buy then from around $350 and up Yes, its a little more labor, but everything is already apart. Sure a shop[ will mark up the cost a bit, but $1100 seems really high
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledog View Post
Thanks for the replies. I only ask about flywheel reuse because it doubles the cost of the clutch portion of the repair.

The cost to perform the test is surely low in comparison to a new flywheel. I will see if my shop can perform it.
But if the twist test is fine, and the surface his cracked or heat checked, it still needs replacing.
Old 03-02-2023, 01:52 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I might get flamed, but $1100 extra for a flywheel seems a bit $$$ as its kind of a "while you are in there" thing and you can buy then from around $350 and up Yes, its a little more labor, but everything is already apart. Sure a shop[ will mark up the cost a bit, but $1100 seems really high
I agree, $1100 is rather steep, and it`s not more labour at all, you need to take off the flywheel anyway for RMS, etc. I had to replace the clutch at 100k and the flywheel was still in perfect condition. Its condition depends on a number of things though, like driving style, performance, etc. but if it`s not cracked and pass the rotation test I wouldn`t replace it just because "while I`m there".
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:34 PM   #9

Dual mass units retail in the $700-800 range, but the question that needs to be asked is why do they feel it needs to be replaced. If it is bad, it has to go; the price of a new one is another story.......
Old 03-06-2023, 12:57 PM   #10

Garage
Ask for transparency on the part cost, as the labor addition is negligible since the clutch AND flywheel already have to come out to get at the IMS. If they're quoting $300 on labor ask them to kindly remove that and just accept it. If they're charging $1100 on parts, it better be genuine Porsche as an Luk replacement is retail $550-760 depending on which site you shop. Not sure if they're lumping other parts into that price either (throwout bearing for instance.)

Last edited by JZeke; 03-06-2023 at 12:59 PM.
JZeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:26 PM   #11
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeke View Post
Ask for transparency on the part cost, as the labor addition is negligible since the clutch AND flywheel already have to come out to get at the IMS. If they're quoting $300 on labor ask them to kindly remove that and just accept it. If they're charging $1100 on parts, it better be genuine Porsche as an Luk replacement is retail $550-760 depending on which site you shop. Not sure if they're lumping other parts into that price either (throwout bearing for instance.)
throwout bearing is generally part of the clutch kit

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote