Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2023, 07:07 AM   #1

Figuring out oil leak in Boxster S

Hello
In my 2001 Boxster S, there looks to be an oil leak here as seen in the picture attached.

1) How can I go about diagnosing it myself ?

2) Is this a valve cover gasket leak ? How can I confirm that ?

3) Is there some other leak that is possible here ? The oil levels do not drop while driving or over time. Maybe after 3 months of driving or say 500 miles, I add a 100 - 150 ml of oil to the engine.

Please help/advise.

Thanks in advance.

VK

Old 03-30-2023, 07:29 AM   #2

The best way to isolate a leak is to first clean the area thoroughly, then add a UV dye to the oil. Run the car for a day ot two, then look at the area with an ultraviolet light source; the leak will light up like Christmas.......
Old 03-30-2023, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The best way to isolate a leak is to first clean the area thoroughly, then add a UV dye to the oil. Run the car for a day ot two, then look at the area with an ultraviolet light source; the leak will light up like Christmas.......
1) Is there a brand of dye you recommend ?

2) once I add the dye and find the leak, do I need to do another oil change since the oil now has dye in it and may damage the engine ? ?
Old 03-30-2023, 08:30 AM   #4

We use the UV dyes (oil, coolant, hydraulic fluid, etc.) from Uview, the guys that make the vacuum cooling system tools. All the various dyes are harmless to the fluid being checked, and can remain in the system without any problems, which is what makes them so useful.

Tags
oil leak