Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2023, 11:55 PM   #1

Garage
Electrical Problems

I have a 2002 986 S its done 37000 miles from new,I have had all sorts of electrical problems with it there was water getting in under the roof where the window is supposed to seal it from the weather.
The car alarm system was going mad so I sent off for a used ECU and alarm kit plus ignition and new key on Ebay it came from a similar Boxster in Eastern Europe and cost around £800. The first thing that went wrong was the postman wanted £300 for the import tax prior to delivery that's Brexit for you!! I asked an engineering company in Chester to install everything and they plugged in the replacement parts and got it up and running but it took 6 months and they charged me £2700 for their time.I then took it to the main stealer who charge £200 just to look at it as the computer stated I had "low oil pressure" they said I required a new dash board which I had installed at the cost of £3700. I was shocked by their report it stated I had lots of defects that needed looking at on the car but at £200 an hour I decided that I would try my local garage and get it Mot'd the garage put 4 new tyres on repaired a cracked suspension coil and it passed the MOT for another £2000.I have spent around £9500 getting this car back on the road I paid £9000 for it 4 years ago and have travelled less that 1000 miles in it and now the battery goes flat after 1 week which is probably a part next to the ignition lock according to someone on another forum but who knows? I wish I had kept my 997 GTS instead of selling it to fund these repairs and by a Merc which is a wonderful car with no problems at all. I have owned 6 different Porsches from 924S 928 996 turbo 986 Boxster s x2 plus the 997 GTS a lovely car. The Boxster S is a total money pit though.

bburnrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:48 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

That's why the cheapest Porsche is the most expensive Porsche.

Did you have a PPI done on the car, and what did it reveal?

Now that you're on a roll, please share the stories on the other 6 Porsches.

Sorry to hear about the circumstances. Keep us posted on the next Porsche you purchase.