Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2023, 10:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Who made the axles you put in? The Porsche ones are ridiculously pricey, and I've heard some of the others are pretty hit or miss as far as quality.

The axles are (I'm pretty sure—bought the car second hand with 19K miles on it) the originals. The joints were just cleaned up and repacked (admittedly kind of a messy job) and they're still going strong. If the Porsche ones were even somewhat more reasonably priced I'd totally agree with you.
I looked at replacing the whole axle but it would have been nearly $1500 for both axles. instead, i bought about $200 worth of parts, and about $800 worth of tools to replace just the boots.

side note, pelican parts sells a kit, but the kit isn't actually a kit. it's a bunch of different parts that are grouped together, and one of the cv boots that they sell made by GKN comes with clamps and grease. this is all to say that i bought the kit and ended up with about $50 worth of grease and clamps that i didn't need because they didn't specify that the parts in the "kit" came with the grease and clamps.