Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2006, 06:25 AM   #21

Thumbs up

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I am hoping since my car has 27K on it and no probs other than the RMS @19K miles, maybe I am worrying over nothing. If I remember right, all the intemediate shaft probs happened at rather low mileage.

I've decided against the S2000 for now. I may buy one at some time in the future just to get it out of my system, but for now I'll put a few miles on the Porsche and hope for the best.

98 Honda CR250
02 Acura RSX-S
00 Porsche Boxster S
98 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Sears Weed wacker 1.2 HP

Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
do you really honestly think that it's not possible that the s2000 could possibly have an engine failure. it is a high revving engine, like the m3 engines. you probably think that the m3 is a very reliable car, well guess what it has probably had just as many rms leaks to engine failures. the s2000 is not safe by any means.

I haven't heard of them coming apart at stoplights like the Porsche.
98 Honda CR250
02 Acura RSX-S
00 Porsche Boxster S
98 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Sears Weed wacker 1.2 HP

Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak
Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I am hoping since my car has 27K on it and no probs other than the RMS @19K miles, maybe I am worrying over nothing. If I remember right, all the intemediate shaft probs happened at rather low mileage.

I've decided against the S2000 for now. I may buy one at some time in the future just to get it out of my system, but for now I'll put a few miles on the Porsche and hope for the best.

Always glad to help a fellow driver steer back on the right path. Few k miles and couple of years there will get you hooked for good.

Z.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:55 AM   #24

One thing that I've found, echoing the sediment of previous posters, is that people only report on the things that are wrong with their cars... how boring would the forum be if it were just filled with "I just went to pick up milk, and had no problems" posts? Obviously, people hanging out on a car forum are going to be discussing car problems more than any other place... It's also a lot easier to come across as being extremely mean-spirited towards car manufacturers when there's a problem anything, whether it's their fault or not..

If you ever want to have piece of mind about any cars, never read a forum before you buy... or after.. actually, avoid them all together..

So get back out onto the road, and put the smile back on your face
Wonko The Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 AM   #25

there's no question in my mind of which car would be more reliable, just looking at the track record of both cars-the S2k by a long way. I have owned Hondas for years and only Toyota can compete with them in terms of hundreds of thousands of trouble-free miles.

that being said.......You buy a Box because you are passionate about performance and breed heritage in my opinion. It's rarely a rational decision when you buy a roadster. Plus, a true roadster(again in my opinion) can't have a front engine, rear drive set up.....that's a convertible

My biggest issue with the S2k is the i-VTEC. I have driven two of them on the track, as well as our Box S. Mid-Ohio to be exact.

You just have to stay too high in the revs all the time to get any real enjoyment out of the car-you are shifting constantly. Even sprinting through traffic, the S2k needs to be in 3rd and sometimes 2nd gear a lot. it just has no torque whatsoever to speak of. that's the downside of the otherwise fantastic i-VTEC technology.

The Box S reminds me of my Z06 from a torque standpoint. it just has so much grunt on the low end. It's hard to imagine they can get that much pull out of 3.2 liters. No, it does not redline in the 9's like the S2k, but you don't need high revs in this car to get it to the limit in a hurry.

And the mid-engine: don't get me started. if you ever get a chance to get these two cars in their born-for environments, the track, it would become very clear which of the two embodies the sports car spirit. throttle steering the Box S is something that has to be experienced-you can push the rear to your heart's content(with PSM disengaged of course!), knowing you will get plenty of notice when it's had enough. The S2K just has no middle ground. pushing it through off-camber turns at Mid-Ohio is a little harrowing(at least in my amateur hands). The rear end just comes around with very little provocation.

A long post, but I just wanted to let you in on my experience with both cars.

good luck!
2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4-daily driver

Last edited by S_PILOT; 11-26-2006 at 07:56 AM.
S_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:20 PM   #26

S_pilot. That was a great look into each cars abilities. I'ts good to get real feedback.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote