Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2023, 10:11 AM   #1

Oil Dipstick question

I am not sure how/when to read the oil level on the dip stick. Is it to be read when cold (sitting level) or once the engine comes up to temp (i.e. a short drive etc.)?
I cannot trust the oil level gauge in my 04 Boxster S (due to various electronic gremlins). I have had the car a very short time
Any guidance or instructions would greatly be appreciated.

2013cossj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:16 AM   #2

Garage
Oil dipstick

There is a great technical bulletin that LN Engineering published, and it is free if you sign in with them. Basically, there was a revision from the factory both on the recommended oil fill amount - they adjusted down .5 liter and also the dipsticks themselves were updated. Depending on your version you fill to the top (new version) or about half way on the older version. It is worth the 2 minutes to sign up and download, they also have some other great technical articles such as their maintenance guide and how to do a ppi etc. search 'downloads' on their site and it will come up, then sign up and you can get an email sent right away
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013cossj View Post
I am not sure how/when to read the oil level on the dip stick. Is it to be read when cold (sitting level) or once the engine comes up to temp (i.e. a short drive etc.)?
I cannot trust the oil level gauge in my 04 Boxster S (due to various electronic gremlins). I have had the car a very short time
Any guidance or instructions would greatly be appreciated.
sitting level.
cold is best.
If you have driven it let it set for 10-20 minutes then check it.
Takes a while for the oil to drain down to the sump.
Just like any car.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:44 PM   #4
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Black Knight….

….is right.

Read that LN info.

Also, the most accurate oil level reading will be after the car has been sitting for three days after running.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 09:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
….is right.

Read that LN info.

Also, the most accurate oil level reading will be after the car has been sitting for three days after running.
3 DAYS? Why not 4 or 5?
Bush Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:24 AM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pilot View Post
3 DAYS? Why not 4 or 5?
Because by the end of day 3 all the oil has fallen into the oil pan, with the exception of several tablespoons siting in crevices in the engine. Why you would want to wait another day or two confuses me. Just wait until the 72 hour mark and check your oil. Anything more than a three day wait is a waste of time.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:58 AM   #7

I was being sarcastic. What evidence do you have that 72 hours is the magic number? That seems ridiculous to me. I would think 5 minutes after shutting down would be sufficient.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
sitting level.
cold is best.
If you have driven it let it set for 10-20 minutes then check it.
Takes a while for the oil to drain down to the sump.
Just like any car.
Blue, I miss the oil reading system on my 987CS, you could check the oil level every time before starting the engine (cold) or after 10-20 minutes as you stated.

The system on the 981 sucks.. (literally), as you need to have the engine at full operating temperature, then shut it off for at least one minute, Oh, and don't you dare to open the trunk lid or the door as you are screwed and have to start the procedure all over again.. it's really frustrating
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Blue, I miss the oil reading system on my 987CS, you could check the oil level every time before starting the engine (cold) or after 10-20 minutes as you stated.

The system on the 981 sucks.. (literally), as you need to have the engine at full operating temperature, then shut it off for at least one minute, Oh, and don't you dare to open the trunk lid or the door as you are screwed and have to start the procedure all over again.. it's really frustrating
Umm no dipstick????
Just a gauge??
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:16 AM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pilot View Post
I was being sarcastic. What evidence do you have that 72 hours is the magic number? That seems ridiculous to me. I would think 5 minutes after shutting down would be sufficient.
You've got some good stuff on here. I figured you'd be ripe for a poke. Glad you have a sense of humor.

72 hours, lol!

Old 03-01-2023, 10:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Umm no dipstick????
Just a gauge??
That is correct, just the gauge but on the 987's is much user friendly, for the next gen 981 and up you need to have the oil warmed up to operating temp to be able to read the level.. On my kids 2019 Jetta and 2018 A6 is the same system.. sometimes technology sucks
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
That is correct, just the gauge but on the 987's is much user friendly, for the next gen 981 and up you need to have the oil warmed up to operating temp to be able to read the level.. On my kids 2019 Jetta and 2018 A6 is the same system.. sometimes technology sucks
I hear you. That said, by removing the dipstick, the manufacturer gains more control over how the oil level is read and removes the potential for a dipstick brain to read it incorrectly and either over fill or under fill the oil. They probably got tired of replacing engines.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:15 PM   #13

Cruise control locks on by itself at various speeds.

My cruise doesn’t work but at times engine locks at various speeds and I can’t accelerate, only when accelerator pedal is lifted does the engine return to normal and I can accelerate, this happens several times during a 30 minute drive. Help, this is scary..

Zerocool74 is offline   Reply With Quote