Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Bonnet Electric Issue (not what you think)

Alright yall. Need your wisdom.

When I purchased my car, the PO had pulled the cable through the headlight so he could easily access the bonnet luggage compartment because the electrical switch didn't work. I want to get the electrical open of the frunk back in order.

The rear trunk opens just fine with the switch located in the doorsill. I began by examining the fuse box to see if a fuse had blown. When I pull the switch in the doorsill, I hear nothing (no click or actuator.) Nothing in the fuse box looks out of the ordinary and when I was looking at some old posts, I saw Macster say that the trunks run off the same fuse (D7) so if that was the issue neither trunk would open.

I followed the line through the firewall to the actual mechanical elements. You have the white actuator that pulls the cable, and the latch that actually locks the bonnet. I took a voltmeter to the actuator wires to see if they were getting voltage. They are not! To double check, I applied separate power to the terminals of the actuator and it came alive! So...

My actuator works, but the cables that go to it (brown=ground & brown/black power cable) are not receiving any voltage at idle or when the switch is pulled. I have run the length of the cables as much as I could to see if there was an issue and have not seen anything to the naked eye. I also checked to see if maybe somewhere the cable had become detached, but it turns out when i use my voltmeters continuity tester, BOTH wires light up as connected to ground. Does this mean I have a short somewhere in the line?

I also examined both switches in the doorsill and they both seem to function properly with similar resistance and continuity function. I have been examining the wiring diagrams available to see if maybe it wired through another device that could be the issue, but have not identified anything. Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

dramabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:12 AM   #2
Registered Member

Bump - any suggestions y’all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dramabean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bonnet , electrical , issue , switch , wires