Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2023, 01:35 PM   #1

alternator removal

I am trying to remove/replace an alternator on my 2001 986S. I have Wayne's book. He describes tapping the idler pulley to remove a bushing. I don't understand the significance of this. My new alternator has this bushing installed already. I don't see how it is possible to remove the alternator. I removed the lower mount bolt. I can't remove the upper mount bolt because it is so long that it hits the firewall. I'm trying to pry the alternator up from from where the pulley bolt rests but it doesn't budge. Getting worried...

brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 02:31 PM   #2

Update - I have the long pulley bolt removed by finagling things around. But to no avail. The alternator is pivoting from where this long bolt used to be but I still can't get the alternator to budge.

Wayne's book says it may require significant tapping with a hammer and drift on the long pulley bolt to remove the alternator bushing. Believe you me, in my current state I was more than willing to do this however the bushing did not budge.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:04 PM   #3

Garage
You're going to need a bigger hammer.

See that bushing in the new alt. when you torque that bolt the bushing is drawn tight against the mounting bracket. The friction prevents the alt removal.

Put the long bolt back until snug then back out about 2 turns. Now get a 2 to 4 pound sledge hammer and a 10-12" punch DO NOT USE A CLAW OR FRAMING HAMMER as they have hard faces and can cause chips at the speed of sound. Wearing goggles Take the punch to the center of the bolt and give sharp raps until bushing releases. You do not need to remove the bushing.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:16 PM   #4

Thanks for your reply. I tried with a ~ 2lb sledge and a 12" long 1/2" ratchet extension bar. Gave it serious whacks. I'll try again...
Old 01-11-2023, 03:51 PM   #5

I could not re-install the long bolt. However, by tapping the alternator forward flange, then rocking the alternator back and forth while prying the rear flange I was able to walk the damn thing out. Miserable job.

The problem now is that it seems the rebuilt Bosch I'm trying to install has the bushing in the compressed state. The alternator will not go on. I'll have to remove it from its partially installed position and lightly file the bushing. Awful job.

Last edited by brp987; 01-11-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:31 AM   #6

You can wind the bushing back by putting the long bolt through a couple of large sockets, to act as spacers, and then into the back of the bushing. Tighten the bolt and it will pull the bushing back.

Obviously, this can only be done with the alternator out of the car so it doesn't help with getting the old one out.

Good luck.

Last edited by Sean F; 01-12-2023 at 03:47 AM.
Sean F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:57 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

You may find that reinstalling the alternator will require some finagling.

Exercise patience. Patience. Patience. Patience.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:59 AM   #8

Well, this job has a happy ending. I took a fine file to the front mounting ear - took off maybe 0.01 to 0.02 thou, in order to get a net fit so the rblt alternator would slide into position. Put in a new battery for good measure. Dash lights all turned off, so all good - or so I thought. See new thread re: clunk in steering...