Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2022, 05:01 AM   #1

Needs Help 986 triptronic transmission

I purchased this car two years ago and unfortunately haven’t been able to enjoy can’t find a honest mechanic in Miami , Florida after expend thousand of dollars no of them fix the issue.
1998 boxster automatic triptronic, car shifter good when is cool or under 185 , this is was is doing after car gets to temperature I loss the reverse and the D and 4 light on the cluster start flashing if I wait for the car to cool down run and drive and shift good .
Sorry about my writing in English.

PLEASE Help , I love the car but can keep expending more money with out enjoying the car

Badboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:29 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy67 View Post
I purchased this car two years ago and unfortunately haven’t been able to enjoy can’t find a honest mechanic in Miami , Florida after expend thousand of dollars no of them fix the issue.
1998 boxster automatic triptronic, car shifter good when is cool or under 185 , this is was is doing after car gets to temperature I loss the reverse and the D and 4 light on the cluster start flashing if I wait for the car to cool down run and drive and shift good .

PLEASE Help , I love the car but can keep expending more money with out enjoying the car
There is a coolant valve on, I believe, the passenger side of the transmission. It regulates coolant to keep the trans "cool". I only know this because 1.5 years ago I had my 98 Tip rebuilt and gave the mechanic that valve. I'm just guessing, but might be something to look into.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:02 AM   #3

Starter986 , I will try to change the valve during the weekend, let pray that can fixed ,my wife even got a new top that is supposed to be install in a few weeks but after getting the car back from another supposed to be Porsche mechanic and the car still doing the same thing I don’t know if I really want to keep put money on a car I can’t drive , love the car but is hard to find someone to work on 986 that year down in south Florida .

Thank you
Old 12-05-2022, 05:02 AM   #4

Good luck as it's a lot of fun to change.
azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlvr View Post
I look at it and for my 1998 look like is going to be easy as is on the rear of the transmission left driver side ,I trying to do what I can no to sell the car as I like it but can find a shop in south Florida that want to work on Boxster transmission. 🙏🏻 this fix my issue.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:36 PM   #6
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
I look at it and for my 1998 look like is going to be easy as is on the rear of the transmission left driver side ,I trying to do what I can no to sell the car as I like it but can find a shop in south Florida that want to work on Boxster transmission. 🙏🏻 this fix my issue.
Yes... The Tiptronic isn't entirely popular amongst transmission repair shops, especially those that "specialize" in Porsches. You might consider contacting your local Porsche club chapter and see if they have any recommendations. Right now you should stop throwing money at mechanics who say they can work on Porsches... and be patient until you find the right one.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:26 PM   #7

You are absolutely correct , thank you
Old 12-09-2022, 08:57 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlvr View Post
Oh, I didn't say it was going to be fun. :dance:

My mechanic swapped it with the trans out.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:19 AM   #9
-00 986 S

Quote:

Have you checked oil level? Sounds like low oil level issue. I had oil level just slightly low and when transmission got hot it had some issues shifting, nothing like losing any gears but issues still.

Mikko is offline   Reply With Quote