Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2022, 07:33 PM   #1

Immobilizer issue: Doors not locking

My doors are not locking. I tested my immobilizer and it is not emitting a signal to the door locks. I directly power the door locks and they lock fine, so it is the immobilizer. It was wet and had some corrosion, but it wasnt bad. I cleaned as best I could, but it wont lock the doors. I get two beeps when I lock the door. It is immediately issuing a signal to unlock the doors.

- Locks work fine when I power the lock wire directly from the wiring diagram
- The central locking button does not work. It will light up with durametric light test though
- Only drivers door lock with key 3-lock turns

I get the following error codes on durametric:
  1. Code 60: Central locking limit position lock not reached
  2. Code 46: Central locking synchronization
  3. Yellow Code 47: Central locking synchronization
  4. Yellow Code 54: Radio receiver defective

What troubleshooting can I do?
Can I cut the wire for locking the door and somehow make it a manual door lock using a relay of some sort to send a lock signal to the locks?
I have 2001 Boxster S with M535 immobilizer, with antenna socket.

Last edited by professorman; 11-29-2022 at 08:00 PM.
professorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:26 AM   #2

If your immobilizer was wet, it either needs to go out to be reconditioned, or possibly replaced.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:49 AM   #3

Garage
FWIW, someone made a good point in a thread I read. There generally isn't anything in the cabin that is worth as much as the top. For that reason, I don't ever lock the doors as my car came with a brand new top and between a head unit, oakley's, and subwoofer I have maybe $500 of stuff in there that is much easier to replace than the top. YMMV of course. I also live in Florida where the top is hardly ever up lol!
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If your immobilizer was wet, it either needs to go out to be reconditioned, or possibly replaced.
I have seen some advanced repairs of it. Mine really wasnt bad, but i suspect one of the relays might be bad. If i could isolate which relay it is, then I could replace that specific relay. I found some instructions in this thread, however, i am a little confused how to test the relays.

I am not familiar with the codes, so I am hoping someone also has advance knowledge or resource to find troubleshooting with these codes.

My last resort is to convert my door locks to generic alarm remote control locking.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
2002 Boxster S

Check with a user named Qmulus on this forum. He repaired mine. My immmobilizer was under water due to a clogged drain and sustained damage. I sent him pictures of the circuit board and he determined it was most likely repairable. Got it back and it looked and worked like new. He replaced some components and soldered some relays. His price was very reasonable. The Porsche dealer told me it would cost over $4K to repair needing a new immobilizer, door lock, ignition switch and another switch in the engine compartment that was mated with the other two. That was over two years ago and haven't had any issues since.

I had the same issue with the door locks before the water incident and still have it so in my case I don't think the lock issue has anything to do with the immobilizer.

Last edited by john12312; 12-04-2022 at 12:40 PM.
john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:56 PM   #6
2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
FWIW, someone made a good point in a thread I read. There generally isn't anything in the cabin that is worth as much as the top. For that reason, I don't ever lock the doors as my car came with a brand new top and between a head unit, oakley's, and subwoofer I have maybe $500 of stuff in there that is much easier to replace than the top. YMMV of course. I also live in Florida where the top is hardly ever up lol!
I agree. I haven't been able to lock my doors for over 5 years but since I don't keep anything of value in the car I'd rather leave it unlocked and let someone root around than risk a top slash.