Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2022, 08:43 PM   #1

Radiator Fans help

My fellow 986 owners. I am trying to figure out this issue I am experiencing on my 02 Boxster S. Over the past few months, when driving with the A/C on; when the radiator / condenser fans kick on to high, there is a slight clip in electricity in the car. For example, the radio will skip or clip like there isn’t enough power. I noticed it with the headlights as well. They will dim for a split second, while the stereo cuts out. When the A/c is off, this isn’t an issue. Any idea where to start and start trouble shooting?

hotdawwgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:14 AM   #2

Hotdawwgman, you may want to check and clean the fan connectors and the grounds, your symptoms apply to any car with electrical issues, if these are clean, you may want to check the resistance of the fan motor as this could be also the culprit..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 05:28 PM   #3

You have either a ground issue, or a battery issue. Doubt the issue is with the resistors since you have problems with the radio and the headlights.

Tighten the battery terminal connections to start then go from there.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:27 AM   #4

Wanted to close the loop with this issue I was experiencing. I checked voltage at the alternator and my alternator tested fine. I then tested the voltage when the A/C is on and the fans kick on. I noticed the voltage immediately dropped to 11.5v. This is what was drawing so much power. I was able to trouble shoot this to my fans.

I then decided to pull the Fan relays and jumped them with a wire. I confirmed that both low speeds were not kicking in and only the high speed was coming on. I decided to replace the resistors on the fans but when I looked at the fans, made the ultimate decision to replace both fans with new units and now can confirm that my power draw issue has been fixed. I tested the relays by jumping them and now all speeds work. No more issues.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:16 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdawwgman View Post
Wanted to close the loop with this issue I was experiencing. I checked voltage at the alternator and my alternator tested fine. I then tested the voltage when the A/C is on and the fans kick on. I noticed the voltage immediately dropped to 11.5v. This is what was drawing so much power. I was able to trouble shoot this to my fans.

I then decided to pull the Fan relays and jumped them with a wire. I confirmed that both low speeds were not kicking in and only the high speed was coming on. I decided to replace the resistors on the fans but when I looked at the fans, made the ultimate decision to replace both fans with new units and now can confirm that my power draw issue has been fixed. I tested the relays by jumping them and now all speeds work. No more issues.
Curious... did you replace with OEM fans or aftermarket? I had the same/similar problem with one of my fans... read some 'reviews'... and settled upon OEM. Yours might be a story to follow.

OEM? AM? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #6

@starter986, I went aftermarket. I bought thru FCP, so If there are any issues, I have the lifetime warranty. I recently used the lifetime warranty on a rear control arm and that process was super smooth and easy.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdawwgman View Post
@starter986, I went aftermarket. I bought thru FCP, so If there are any issues, I have the lifetime warranty. I recently used the lifetime warranty on a rear control arm and that process was super smooth and easy.
When my driver fan went out I researched the aftermarket reviews. Everything I read said they can vibrate like crazy. I picked up a used pair off a ride with around 60K. Smooth as silk.

Good luck!