Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2022, 07:13 PM   #1

Garage
Coolant Choices: Is Everyone Using Porsche Coolant? Other Choices?

Ouch, $250 for coolant refill is quite excessive so I'm wondering about running Peak European Car formula which is pink and specified for our cars and other European cars from the same era. Has anyone used this? Good or bad?

The Porsche coolant is claimed as "lifetime" I believe while Peak states 5 years so there is that but is the Porsche version actually lifetime.

(Of course, "lifetime" in a Boxster engine can be painfully short...!)

Anyway, just wondering what the consensus is regarding coolant in our cars.

And 6 gallons? Really? That's a lot of weight. With that much coolant it seems like the coolant would be cool by the time it goes to the radiators and back and yet these cars still have cooling troubles. Very strange.

nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:27 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Not as a qualified recommendation, but what I do with a long line of Porsche, VW, Audi cars; If they come to me with Factory stuff, I keep it going until I have reason for a full refill. For a refill I use an OAT, Long Life type coolant without care for a particular brand. I do not mix different products.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:14 AM   #3

All automobile manufactures have required specs. for the products to be used in there cars.
It doesn't matter if your talking fluids, brakes, sensors, what ever.
So if the product meets the specs. then it is just a matter of brand choice.
I think the antifreeze for the Porsche is the G40 I think the G40 covers most European brands but not positive.
So check don't take my word for it. Could be some other rating.
But As long as you use products that meet the required specs. your good to go.

Last edited by blue62; 08-16-2022 at 06:38 AM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:52 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Owner

I was using Zerez G40 50/50 before replacing my coolant reservoir. My mechanic only uses OEM parts/fluids so now the car is filled with Porsche Coolant.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:49 PM   #5

At Pelican Parts they've got Porsche antifreeze for $37.50/gal. Mixed 50:50 with distilled water, for 6 gal of mix that'd be like $112 (ignoring the negligible cost of the water).

So how you coming up with $250? Is that for someone else to do it?

If so, it's not terribly difficult to do it yourself. There's lots of DIY guides right on this forum.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:45 AM   #6

Garage
I use Prestone from Walmart specifically for German cars meeting the Porsche specs. Been in the car for 6 years now.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:27 AM   #7

Garage
Ben burner discussed this question on his Youtube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMkoxlm6mzI&list=PLiya6G1pHhIY5oUQtcguzN0KqKoY-IGhw&index=8
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:57 PM   #8

It's a German car.

The world's largest chemical company is BASF, a German company, and they produce antifreeze under the brand name Glysantin. The Glysantin website shows formula G30 as required for 986. (G for Glysantin). Pretty likely, I think, Glysantin was factory fill.

Rather than "universal" or "European," look for G30 on the coolant container. Valvoline/Zerex in USA is very good at providing nicely labeled products and they do produce a G30 coolant.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

The Glysantin website shows formula G30 as required for 986. (G for Glysantin). Pretty likely, I think, Glysantin was factory fill.
Except that the factory fill is a G12+ coolant

Last edited by JFP in PA; 08-17-2022 at 02:39 PM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:00 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
At Pelican Parts they've got Porsche antifreeze for $37.50/gal. Mixed 50:50 with distilled water, for 6 gal of mix that'd be like $112 (ignoring the negligible cost of the water).

So how you coming up with $250? Is that for someone else to do it?

If so, it's not terribly difficult to do it yourself. There's lots of DIY guides right on this forum.
I had no idea it was a concentrate! Are you sure? Where are you getting this information? That's great if it is but everything about the Porsche coolant is shrouded in mystery and it's hard to believe Porsche would take the chance that people are mixing their precious anti freeze with questionable water by selling a concentrate.
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolari View Post
I had no idea it was a concentrate! Are you sure? Where are you getting this information? That's great if it is but everything about the Porsche coolant is shrouded in mystery and it's hard to believe Porsche would take the chance that people are mixing their precious anti freeze with questionable water by selling a concentrate.
THe factory coolant is sold as a concentrate.