Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2022, 09:47 AM   #1

'99 5 speed trans oil change, why not fill to overflow? why -11mm??

I'm planning on changing the trans oil in my '99 base model 5 speed.
I bought 3 liters of the 'special sauce' at my local Porsche dealer.

I see in the 101 projects it says to fill to 11mm below the fill hole, but online videos (youtube) say nothing wrong with filling until overflow.

Is there any problem with simply filling until overflow? Did the engineers make the fill hole too high? or is it completely fine to fill until overflow?

DreamSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:33 AM   #2
My tranny runneth over

I’ve filled my three Boxsters, my 911’s, and every other manual-transmission I’ve ever had, for 50 years, to the point of overflow, and I’ve never had a problem from overfilling. No oil leaks at the input shaft or output shaft(s) , shift shaft etc. ever. I’ve seen gearboxes that died painful deaths from too little oil. The extra 11mm oil level will make very little difference as the oil is sloshed by car movement, stirred by gear movement, etc. I’m mystified why Porsche makes that suggestion.
11mm? Not 10, not 12mm?
old911doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSign View Post
I'm planning on changing the trans oil in my '99 base model 5 speed.
I bought 3 liters of the 'special sauce' at my local Porsche dealer.

I see in the 101 projects it says to fill to 11mm below the fill hole, but online videos (youtube) say nothing wrong with filling until overflow.

Is there any problem with simply filling until overflow? Did the engineers make the fill hole too high? or is it completely fine to fill until overflow?
Yes, filling it until it overflows will most likely allow gear oil to leak out the front input shaft bearing of the trans where it will destroy the clutch. The fill spec exists for a very good reason.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by old911doc View Post
I’m mystified why Porsche makes that suggestion.
Well, they are the engineers and that's what they determine to be correct so why put in more then what is specified?

Would you fill you engine with oil till it came out the fill cap or just go by what is specified?
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:22 AM   #5

2.25 quarts is what you need. Don't fill it until it drips. very real risk of getting fluid all over your clutch
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:22 PM   #6

Input shaft has an oil seal so overfill won’t immediately cause leakage and wet clutch…. But regardless it is specified for reason, and I trust Porsche engineers know how fluid sloshes around when the car is in motion… not logical reason to fill to the plug hole.

Because the 5-spd tranny is from Audi, the hole location was not originally designed for Boxster installation thus the height spec., I guess…. It’s not a big deal to check it, if you can bend and mark a paper clip. Can be done faster than typing up a question here.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Input shaft has an oil seal so overfill won’t immediately cause leakage and wet clutch…. But regardless it is specified for reason, and I trust Porsche engineers know how fluid sloshes around when the car is in motion… not logical reason to fill to the plug hole.

Because the 5-spd tranny is from Audi, the hole location was not originally designed for Boxster installation thus the height spec., I guess…. It’s not a big deal to check it, if you can bend and mark a paper clip. Can be done faster than typing up a question here.
Ok, this is exactly why I asked. The hole position was not originally placed for this exact set up.

I will DEFINTELY do the -11mm from the hole.
I'll add the 2.25l and check from there.

Thank you everyone for your inputs :0)
DreamSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:38 AM   #8
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Interestingly the 6 speed is filled to overflow so I suspect they put the fill hole in the right place.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Interestingly the 6 speed is filled to overflow so I suspect they put the fill hole in the right place.
Right, Audi did not design it obviously…
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:13 PM   #10
To see is to believe! My 2001 was sold with a "bad" gearbox. It was extremely difficult, almost impossible to shift, but the price was so good that I planned on finding a second hand gearbox and swapping it out.

I did the usual checks with cables, linkages, and adjustments and everything was OK. I was stumped and already planned on a replacement so I decided that what the heck, I'll do a fluid change. When I pulled the side fill plug to vent, oil just shot out like it was running from a faucet. Clearly somehow the level was much higher than 11mm below the fill plug. Not sure how it happened but luckily no leaking into the clutch or anywhere else.

Drained and refilled with the correct fluid (also important) 11mm or so from the top of the fill hole as best I could. Shockingly, the gearbox was back to normal immediately and has been just fine for the last 4 years.

Well, that was a long speech. Sorry lol. I would say, and especially with German cars, to follow the factory recommendations. For all the other British, Japanese, and American cars I have owner I never cared or worried about those kinds of things at all.

Tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote