Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2022, 02:42 PM   #1

Fuel Vapor System - Regeneration Valve Replacement

I'm looking for some info about replacing the Regeneration Valve that goes from the throttle body to the fuel vapor system. I've done some research and it looks like replacing this should stop my coke bottle noise from the gas cap area and the occasional less than a full tank fill up. I haven't had the hard to start issue after fueling yet, but it's probably lurking around the corner.

I see pelican sells just the valve and they also sell the valve with the plastic line.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99611012906.htm?pn=996-110-129-06-OEM&SVSVSI=1049&DID=18538

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99611012906.htm?pn=996-110-129-06-M14&SVSVSI=1049&DID=18538

Has anyone just changed the valve without having to change the plastic line? Most threads I have read involve replacement of the valve with the line. I'm guessing the odds of getting the valve out a 20 year old plastic line without causing damage is going to be tough.

Has anyone with a durametric troubleshot this valve? With the engine off I activated the EVAP valve and didn't hear anything. I believe this is the same valve. I did the same with the shutoff valve in the charcoal canister and could hear the valve activate. I'm wondering if a functioning valve will make an audible noise when activated with a durametric.

Lowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:21 AM   #2

It is a purge valve that operates on PWM signal, so you will hear light tapping noise when it is running as the plunger goes up and down.

I do not think this valve is causing the coke bottle noise or gas filling issue, as it only controls vacuum/ flow to purge the charcoal canister. It is normally closed, and even if it gets stuck open, it should not cause your issues while the car is parked with engine off.

You need to replace the other valve up front near the filler neck.

By the way, that Bosch purge valve is a standard one used on many other makes and models, and you can just cut the PA tube and replace a valve using a short silicone vacuum hose to connect them back together. Personally I won’t spend that much money for a hose assembly.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #3

I had a problem starting after filling gas tank as well as having to fill the tank slowly. I replaced the regeneration valve which came with the hose. I couldn’t get the old valve out without taking the intake off so I just left it there and was able to run the new valve and hose. It wasn’t a big deal and took care of the problem.

Fred111 is offline   Reply With Quote