Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2022, 08:41 AM   #1

Coolant hoses

Searching around for coolant hoses, through various sites. Specifically the big one that comes off the thermostat housing. I know prices vary between Porsche but this is ridiculous:
Porsche: $90 to well over $100
Uro: $15-20
Are the Uro's and other aftermarket ones that vastly substandard??

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Searching around for coolant hoses, through various sites. Specifically the big one that comes off the thermostat housing. I know prices vary between Porsche but this is ridiculous:
IMHO, it would be a shame to risk overheating your engine by choosing a cheap hose (from a MFR that has a bad reputation) over a $100 OEM hose..
perhaps if you were talking about a trim, or an interior piece but not a (critical) engine component.

Last edited by Gilles; 07-11-2022 at 10:17 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
IMHO, it would be a shame to risk overheating your engine by choosing a cheap hose (from a MFR that has a bad reputation) over a $100 OEM hose..
perhaps if you were talking about a trim, or an interior piece but not a (critical) engine component.
Yeah, I know what you're sayin' and appreciate the logic behind the recommendation. I just get so tired of the "Porsche tax" and the nagging feeling that I've been played for a fool when I pay 5x as much for a part that very well may be little or no better than its competition.

I know there are definitely times when it's prudent to "go Porsche." Just bought a Porsche water pump, and then dropped ~$300 on a fancy piece of Porsche plastic (the coolant expansion tank). I just don't know if there's the same difference (and need to spend big) in the case of coolant hoses. But I'll probably end up doing just that...
Old 07-11-2022, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I don't know where you buy your factor hoses, but whoever it is, is really hosing you.
I just checked Porsche parts for a 2001 S, and the most expensive hose I see is less than $36:

https://www.********************************************** **************************.com/v-2001-porsche-boxster--roadster-s--3-2l-h6-gas/cooling-system--hoses-and-pipes
Old 07-11-2022, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I don't know where you buy your factor hoses, but whoever it is, is really hosing you.
I just checked Porsche parts for a 2001 S, and the most expensive hose I see is less than $36:

https://www.********************************************** **************************.com/v-2001-porsche-boxster--roadster-s--3-2l-h6-gas/cooling-system--hoses-and-pipes
Looking to replace the large hose that attaches to the t'stat and runs forward towards the radiators. Pelican sells it for $88, and the only less expensive I've seen is sunset (and they'll take longer to ship). In the addy you gave me...what's between the www and the .com (I'm just getting asterisks).
Old 07-11-2022, 12:03 PM   #6

Part no 996.106.502.04. I believe the new and improved updated number is 996.106.502.06
Old 07-11-2022, 12:52 PM   #7

The new and improved part number 996.106.502.06 is $81 at Sunset, ships in 3-5 days. The page link I sent is Sunset's hose listings for a 2001 S, which did not list that hose, it was in the water pump section.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 07-11-2022 at 12:56 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote