Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2022, 01:36 PM   #1

Subject: UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker/Airlock Purge Tool Kit

Now that I’ve got your attention…

Anybody try one of these? The OEM Tools 24444 Cooler System Refiller Kit.

I know I know, it’s not the quality of the Airlift, but consider (A) it does look to be reasonably well put together. There are parts that are plastic instead of brass, but they are solid-looking; (B) it’s not being used to support a dangerous weight above my head; and (C) at $82 it’s only a little more than half what the Airlift system would run me. In fact, Summit Racing is local to me and I believe they have one to pick up today for $77.

If I was doing this task more than every few years I would buy the Airlift in a heartbeat. But this seems to be a good deal for the occasional user.

This guy seems to like it pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbQ77-zDOEo

He digresses (a lot) at the beginning, to include talking about a clearly inferior competitor’s product that he’s comparing the OEM Tool to, so I’d recommend jumping ahead to about 7:05 for the actual review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Sx0YxrJnI

(It’s labeled as Schwaben, but it’s the same tool.)

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:57 PM   #2

OK for the casual user, not and well-made or as application flexible as the Uview, which I have owned and used (constantly) for more years than I would care to admit.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
OK for the casual user, not and well-made or as application flexible as the Uview, which I have owned and used (constantly) for more years than I would care to admit.
As to the not as well made I have no disagreement. But I'm curious: what can you do with the Uview that can't be done with the OEM Tool?
Old 07-06-2022, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
As to the not as well made I have no disagreement. But I'm curious: what can you do with the Uview that can't be done with the OEM Tool?
Uview has adaptors for everything from Boxster's to John Deere tractors to liquid cooled motorcycles, and everything in between. System's flexibility is unparalleled. All metal construction makes it a long-term tool, and every part is available should it be needed.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:25 PM   #5

It's an OK tool Nice to have but I rarely even have my 80gal compressor tank with air in it anymore. Use my cordless tools more then my air tools. It gets the job done. For the adapters, it's like the Motive bleeders...good tool but a pain to have to always get different adapters.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I bought a cheap one similar to that a few years ago. It functioned and I used it more than I expected. Make sure that you have enough cfm of air output from your compressor to run it. Expect the fittings to leak after a few uses and have a towel ready in the trunk.
If you are using it once and not likely to do it again, check if your local parts store loans a good one. I'll probably be putting mine in the trash soon and buying a UView.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I bought a cheap one similar to that a few years ago. It functioned and I used it more than I expected. Make sure that you have enough cfm of air output from your compressor to run it. Expect the fittings to leak after a few uses and have a towel ready in the trunk.
If you are using it once and not likely to do it again, check if your local parts store loans a good one. I'll probably be putting mine in the trash soon and buying a UView.
Apprciate the feedback, but...
Specifically, which "cheap one" did you buy?
Old 07-07-2022, 06:34 AM   #8

Well I guess I can’t make comparisons between the “cheap one similar to that” you bought (since I still don’t know which one that was) and the one I did go ahead and buy yesterday (the OEM Tools model). Suffice it to say, this one seems to be of decent quality. I’m no youngster—I doubt I’ll be doing DIY maintenance for decades to come and, as far as doing coolant projects, I’m comfortable that what I got will serve my needs. I’m not convinced that the problems you suggest will happen will in fact happen with this unit, and if they do they’re not insurmountable. If it craps out on me I’ll man-up and report as much here on this thread. The compressor I’ll be using should be just fine on cfm provided—thanks for mentioning that. And, when it comes to coolant work in the trunk, I always “have a towel ready.” Not doing so, regardless of WHICH product you’re using, seems to me to be a really bad idea.

I should also point out that I actually see a slight advantage of the OEM unit over the Uview. The OEM one has a separate connection for pulling the fresh coolant, which allows you to prime the intake tubing (ie get the air out) by use of the compressor/venturi process, as shown at 11:39 on youtube vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbQ77-zDOEo

This as opposed to dunking the whole fill tube into the bucket of coolant, which is what I’ve seen done on vids about the Uview model. A minor advantage, sure, but it would seem to makes things a little less messy.

I did check with the Advanced Auto, AZ and O’Reilly auto parts stores locally—unfortunately none of them had anything similar to these products to loan out.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Well I guess I can’t make comparisons between the “cheap one similar to that” you bought (since I still don’t know which one that was) and the one I did go ahead and buy yesterday (the OEM Tools model). Suffice it to say, this one seems to be of decent quality. I’m no youngster—I doubt I’ll be doing DIY maintenance for decades to come and, as far as doing coolant projects, I’m comfortable that what I got will serve my needs. I’m not convinced that the problems you suggest will happen will in fact happen with this unit, and if they do they’re not insurmountable. If it craps out on me I’ll man-up and report as much here on this thread. The compressor I’ll be using should be just fine on cfm provided—thanks for mentioning that. And, when it comes to coolant work in the trunk, I always “have a towel ready.” Not doing so, regardless of WHICH product you’re using, seems to me to be a really bad idea.

I should also point out that I actually see a slight advantage of the OEM unit over the Uview. The OEM one has a separate connection for pulling the fresh coolant, which allows you to prime the intake tubing (ie get the air out) by use of the compressor/venturi process, as shown at 11:39 on youtube vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbQ77-zDOEo

This as opposed to dunking the whole fill tube into the bucket of coolant, which is what I’ve seen done on vids about the Uview model. A minor advantage, sure, but it would seem to makes things a little less messy.

I did check with the Advanced Auto, AZ and O’Reilly auto parts stores locally—unfortunately none of them had anything similar to these products to loan out.
You can add that feature to the Uview with a simple ball valve on the intake line; just use the ball valve to prime the intake line while evacuating the system; problem solved.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Apprciate the feedback, but...
Specifically, which "cheap one" did you buy?
Apologies for not meeting your timeline. The one I purchased was like this:

What I should have said is that if you are going to use it rarely, an inexpensive one will get the job done, but once you have it you may end up using it more than you expected and a higher quality one may be worth the cost.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You can add that feature to the Uview with a simple ball valve on the intake line; just use the ball valve to prime the intake line while evacuating the system; problem solved.

I suspected—assumed, actually—you had a response to that one John!

Last edited by Frodo; 07-07-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Apologies for not meeting your timeline.

What I should have said is that if you are going to use it rarely, an inexpensive one will get the job done, but once you have it you may end up using it more than you expected and a higher quality one may be worth the cost.
If I do end up using it more than I expect then you will be correct, I will regret not getting the Uview. I somehow just don't think that'll be a problem. Time will tell.

No apology needed, you got around to it.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
I suspected—assumed, actually—you had a response to that one John!
Those of us that swing tools for a living are quick to spot small problems with otherwise really good tools and find a quick and inexpensive fix that makes them perfect. It is in our nature to find optimum ways to "beat the clock".