Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2022, 03:33 PM   #1

Nagging question on Clamps

I mentioned this issue in another thread I recently started, but I eventually decided to go ahead and post a separate thread on it. It’s possibly an issue only for me (though I actually doubt that), but I’ll swallow my pride and go ahead and put it out there.

When doing work on the cooling system (and I guess other systems as well—the oil cooler coolant hose is an example that comes into play in my current DIY), the service manuals and the DIY videos and the various forum discussions all tend to advise: “Don’t reuse the spring-type clamps” (101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster) or “Use new hose clamps on coolant lines” (Bentley service manual). Problem is, there’s no description of the clamps that’ll be needed, no part number, clamp diameter, etc. And when you go to order items like a new coolant tank, and water pump, and thermostat (all of which I just ordered), none of the suppliers bother to mention, “Uh, btw, you’re gonna need…[such-and-so specific hose clamps].” Nor do the manuals, videos, etc.

Why is that? Why do we need to get into the middle of a project before figuring out size and description of the clamps that’ll need replacing? Or…and I guess this is the key question: Despite what “they” always say about NOT using generic, hardware store-sourced worm gear type clamps, is it actually okay to do that? Or, maybe more to the point, is that actually what most people do?

In the middle of getting ready to replace my coolant tank, and, despite reading multiple DIY descriptions (which are all helpful, thank you so much!),` I really have no idea what replacement clamps I’m going to need. And, as I mentioned, the suppliers of what I’m replacing don’t even bother to mention clamps needed. Even the DIY vids that I’ve seen seem to just gloss right over that little detail.

I’d love it if there was a handy “Specialty High Quality Clamp store” right down the road, but I’m pretty sure there is not. So again, what do people do when they suddenly realize they need clamp(s)? Leave the car on the lift/jack stands several days while they order them and wait for delivery? Or…head to Home Depot.

I realize there are forum members here that have been working on cars all their lives, and who were probably born knowing the answer to questions like this. Not me. Never did any automotive DIY type stuff til I was in my fifties, when I bought the Boxster in 2006. So I’m definitely still learning. I’d bet there are others out there who would be interesting in learning about this subject as well..

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:51 PM   #2

I think the big secret here is we re-use spring clamps. I do anyway.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:01 PM   #3

Well Bravo!...I appreciate your honesty.
And will definitely take your response into account in making decisions on this..

Are there others? Be brave, 'fess up: who else reuses spring clamps? And, of those who do, who (if any) have ever had a problem with doing so?
Old 06-30-2022, 06:55 PM   #4

Garage
I reused mine... but I'm famous for being cheap. No problems.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)

Last edited by elgyqc; 06-30-2022 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added info
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:29 AM   #5

Again, I appreciate your honesty. I wonder how many others reuse as well and haven't admitted to as much.

I have reused stuff before. We had the probably now-infamous thread on reusing crush washers on oil changes. Some folks got amazingly hot under the collar at the audacity of doing that, but I know I've had washers I probably reused half a dozen times, with zero problems. Ever.

For me, though, it's not really a matter of being cheap. It's wanting to get the job done in a reasonably expedited fashion. When I realize I don't have a new crush washer, well...here's one I can use, right here in my hand. It was working great before, I think it'll keep working great at least one more cycle.

No, it's not so much the cost, though when you spend $300+ on a replacement coolant tank you'd think the supplier could toss in a handful of clamps no charge, without even having to be asked. (My parts are ordered, who knows...maybe they will do that. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do.) No, it's more the difficulty (for me, anyway) of anticipating exactly what I'm going to need before I even put the car into service position to start working. I read all the DIY descriptions, they're definitely helpful. But for me, I don't really have a feel for the details until I actually start to get my hands dirty. That's when you start to figure out which clamps need to be released and, by commonly given advice, replaced with new.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:53 AM   #6

Spring type clamps are typically made from "spring steel" spring steel does not wear out so there is really no reason to replace them other then if there is some sort of damage to them.
I always reuse my flat spring type clamps. The round wire type I do not care for and usually replace them. I replace the round wire type simply because I find them hard to work with.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Spring type clamps are typically made from "spring steel" spring steel does not wear out so there is really no reason to replace them other then if there is some sort of damage to them.
I always reuse my flat spring type clamps. The round wire type I do not care for and usually replace them. I replace the round wire type simply because I find them hard to work with.
That's really helpful, thanks.

So when you replace the round wire type, where do you obtain replacements? Online? Or do AZ, Advanced Auto, O'Reilly, etc just have drawers full of generic clamps that can be used? (I don't know, sounds like you've been around for a while...maybe YOU have drawers full of various generic clamps )

And, if you were doing the coolant tank replacement, with everything so difficult to access, would you still use that approach? (ie reusing the flat spring type?) I just don't want to have to access those clamps twice.

I don't know—maybe you have done the coolant tank. From what I've seen in DIY pictures, it looks like the connections are all that type, the flat spring ones. Did anyone encounter any of the round wire ones in doing their coolant tank?
Old 07-01-2022, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
That's really helpful, thanks.

So when you replace the round wire type, where do you obtain replacements? Online? Or do AZ, Advanced Auto, O'Reilly, etc just have drawers full of generic clamps that can be used? (I don't know, sounds like you've been around for a while...maybe YOU have drawers full of various generic clamps )

And, if you were doing the coolant tank replacement, with everything so difficult to access, would you still use that approach? (ie reusing the flat spring type?) I just don't want to have to access those clamps twice.

I don't know—maybe you have done the coolant tank. From what I've seen in DIY pictures, it looks like the connections are all that type, the flat spring ones. Did anyone encounter any of the round wire ones in doing their coolant tank?
For replacement clamps any auto parts store should have them. Also Ace hardware carries a small selection.
Another place is any kind of farm equipment supply store.

Yes I have replaced the coolant tank on my 2000-S...... about two years ago.
I reused all the clamps with no issues. They are the flat spring type.
If you have access to a lift that will be the best bet.
It will give you access from above and below.
That is how I did it.
I removed the triangle plate that ties the rear suspension together.
that will give you greater access from below.
Many people on the forum seem to have an issue replacing the triangle plate.
But I think they approach the problem incorrectly it is not really an issue.

You can get to one clamp from the engine bay.
a few from underneath
The remainder by pulling the tank into the trunk area.

If you have an issue just post here on the forum we will get you sorted out.

Last edited by blue62; 07-01-2022 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:49 AM   #9

I reuse mine and no problems. I dont' think the metal clamps have as much danger of losing their force as the rubber tubes becoming brittle or splitting and causing leaks. When you do replace the tank be sure to check you tubes carefully. I pulled all of mine and inspected them thoroughly and reconditioned them. Again, no issues in almost a year after replacing the coolant tank.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:14 AM   #10
PLP

Oh... I did not know it is a big NO NO.

Uhm... I actually LOVE the spring clamps. I find them superior over the screw type clamps as they always hold the pressure.

I think the idea of not reusing them comes from their ability to retain the force after being wide open.
I used them for other projects and I can definitely tell that if opened too wide, they do not return to the original position. Makes sense, right?

Having said that - I use and reuse them everywhere I can. I have never had any of them failed if installed properly. Heck, I even used one that was partially cracked (one of the "push legs" was broken off) and it still worked until I got the replacement.
On the other hand, I had some of those screw type to become "leaky"...

In short - I am very sorry for not following the trend and keep reusing the clamps.

BTW, I think it is some Porsche thing to not to reuse hardware...

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Another place is any kind of farm equipment supply store.
Hadn't thought of that—we do have Tractor Supply around here.

Quote:
Many people on the forum seem to have an issue replacing the triangle plate.
But I think they approach the problem incorrectly it is not really an issue.
My son helped me figure out the solution to that problem—a couple of carpenter clamps in series did the trick.

Quote:
If you have an issue just post here on the forum we will get you sorted out.
Thanks Blue!
Old 07-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
I pulled all of mine and inspected them thoroughly and reconditioned them. Again, no issues in almost a year after replacing the coolant tank.
That's good to know. What's involved in reconditioning them?
Old 07-01-2022, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post

BTW, I think it is some Porsche thing to not to reuse hardware...
That, and it’s probably also very much a CYA thing. They tell you not to reuse clamps, you do anyway, then it (for whatever reason) leaks, you have no beef with them. They’re free and clear. OTOH, if they say it’s fine to reuse and you follow that advice and it ends up leaking. Well then you DO sorta have a beef with them…at least in theory.

It’s like the supplied instructions that tell you to wear safety goggles when you’re screwing together a piece of furniture you ordered online. Nobody does it, but it’s there. CYA.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:45 PM   #14

Frodo
The carpenter clamps look to be quick and easy. Good thinking.

What I do is loosen the "U" bracket that attaches to the rear of the triangle plate.
If you loosen that bracket at the body..(two bolts) that allows the bracket to swing front to rear and move a little side to side. So it lets the holes line up. I have done it that way several times and never had an issue.

Just never load the suspension with the plate removed. Then you have problems.

Nice looking lift.... it looks like you can stand upright under the car....???? That would be great.
I have a scissor lift... can't stand up under it but I have enough room to roll under a car on my mechanic's stool so it works out well.

Last edited by blue62; 07-01-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #15

Yeah, I can pretty much stand under it though not absolutely. So I move around bent a little at the neck so I don't clunk my noggin. (Nothing under there has ANY give to it!)

My son (and his relatively new wife) built a house a couple years ago and, in addition to having room for several cars/motorcycles, he arranged for an 18' ceiling down at the last bay. For laudable reasons...

Working under a car on jack stands has lost all appeal for both of us.