Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2022, 07:57 AM   #1

alignment issues

I have been dealing with alignment issues and steering wheel shake since I got the car. 1.5 years of ownership and the car has had 4 alignments and wheel balances. I have been slowly replacing suspension parts. At this point the car has all new components including shocks and new tires.

I get an alignment done and within 300 miles its off again. pulls right and back to steering wheel shake.

I get the car on the lift to do an inspection. I begin to dissemble everything to see any issues, and find cracks in the lower control arm brace/hub assembly. I am in disbelief but relieved at the same time that I actually finally found the problem. Kind of lucky I didn't wrap my self around a tree...

I have inspected this car on many occasions. Never noticed any of the issues.

I sourced a used hub from ebay, press in a new bearing and everything goes back in.

Notice the size difference in the two lower control inlets. That's how much it's warn out likely from the constant vibration.

WILD

Sand blister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand blister View Post
Notice the size difference in the two lower control inlets. That's how much it's warn out likely from the constant vibration.

WILD

Actually the steel insert sleeve has come out of the upright. Aluminum does need a little help here and many suspension attachment points have steel inserts.

Have seen this happen in the rear where the track arm attaches.
SPB #50

Last edited by MaxD; 05-31-2022 at 11:27 AM.
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxD View Post
Actually the steel insert sleeve has come out of the upright. Aluminum does need a little help here and many suspension attachment points have steel inserts.

Have seen this happen in the rear where the track arm attaches.
Yep. Probably by someone not using the correct tool to get the ball joint out and used a hammer to pound it out of the upright. As far as I know, no one sells that steel insert separately. You're going to have to buy a whole upright. Check with
Last Call before the Scrap Yard