Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2022, 03:56 AM   #1
Seal1968

Low battery symptoms

Greetings folks.

I think I need a new battery...there' been some weird symptoms:

-slow cranking at times - I charged it in the spring, but doesn't seem to hold that robust crank power when starting after a couple of weeks

-the battery light comes on, then goes out after restart

-randomly the spoiler lifts on start up with battery light on - press spoiler down button, battery light goes out

-battery light with oil light comes on when starting, goes out after restart (fresh synthetic/full of oil)

I have a Foxwell scanner with Porsche coding, but not an expert on that yet.

Before I head to my Indy for a battery test, just wanted to run this past the brain trust.

Thoughts?

Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:31 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Sounds like the battery to me. In the US most auto parts stores can test the battery for free, maybe try that before going to an indy.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:40 AM   #3

You need to have your battery "load" tested.
That will tell you if it is a battery problem or not.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
You need to have your battery "load" tested.
That will tell you if it is a battery problem or not.
And, if your battery turns out to be ok you may want to clean all the ground connections at the chassis and also at the engine..
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:57 PM   #5

Your battery sounds like it has a bad cell. A simple load test with a voltage meter while cranking the
engine will show a significant voltage drop if such is the case.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:54 AM   #6
Seal1968

Thanks, I figured a bad cell is the most likely suspect.

My Indy is a good friend, so he won't charge me to load test it.

Now, to get things rolling...battery recommendations?

Sorry, had to do it.

Cheers gents!
Old 05-29-2022, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal1968 View Post

My Indy is a good friend, so he won't charge me to load test it.

Sorry, had to do it.

Cheers gents!
One with the highest "CCA" you can find that will fit in the battery tray.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:12 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal1968 View Post

I just put a Kirkland (Costco) battery in mine- great warranty and price.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:57 PM   #9

Nothing special about the P-car battery except the physical size and positive, negative placement of the posts. Should have a tube for venting if not an AGM. So recent a battery should be under some warranty coverage. But also test your alternator's output. And clean the contact posts/points. If I could do it, anyone can.

The 986 (Model years 1997-2004) takes a BCI Group 48 (12.1X 6.9 X 7.6"), the 987 (2005-) takes a BCI Group 94R ( 12.4 X 6.9 X 7.5 "); both right hand positive terminal. The 94R is also slightly lower in CCA.

The 986 Tiptronic battery is bigger than the manual transmission version. They are listed this way in the general section of the official repair manuals:

Ah/A 60/280 Manual

Ah/A 70/320 Tiptronic

So buy a bigger CCA battery if you live in colder climes, drive a TIP Boxster, or have a bigger amp in the car.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Nothing special about the P-car battery except the physical size and positive, negative placement of the posts. Should have a tube for venting if not an AGM. So recent a battery should be under some warranty coverage. But also test your alternator's output. And clean the contact posts/points. If I could do it, anyone can.

The 986 (Model years 1997-2004) takes a BCI Group 48 (12.1X 6.9 X 7.6"), the 987 (2005-) takes a BCI Group 94R ( 12.4 X 6.9 X 7.5 "); both right hand positive terminal. The 94R is also slightly lower in CCA.

The 986 Tiptronic battery is bigger than the manual transmission version. They are listed this way in the general section of the official repair manuals:

Ah/A 60/280 Manual

Ah/A 70/320 Tiptronic

So buy a bigger CCA battery if you live in colder climes, drive a TIP Boxster, or have a bigger amp in the car.
Mike,
My experience has always been that a battery with a higher "CCA" rating always lasts longer.
On average I get 10-12 years from a battery.
My 2000S battery tray has two hold down positions for both a group 48 and also a H7
Group 48 has a "CCA" rating of 690 where as the H7 has a rating of 800 "CCA"
The group 48 that the previous owner had installed lasted three years.
I replaced it with the H7 I expect to get 10-12 years life from it.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:23 PM   #11

My Boxster failed to start once last winter and I had to jump start it. During the last few weeks if I drove a short distance the car sounded like it was barely turning over when I restarted it. I checked my records and the battery was 7-years old.

I decided that I was risking another failure and replaced it with an Interstate AGM battery in size H7 (94R.) The H7 is larger than the battery I removed (Bosch 48-690B.) The H7/94R Interstate battery is rated at 850 CCA. Consumer Reports tested a smaller H6 Interstate AGM battery which the manufacturer rated at 760 CCA. It rated the life expectancy as 5/5, the CCA as 4/5 and the reserve capacity as 4/5. They rated an Optima H6 ($290) and an Odyssey Performance ($260) slightly higher than the Interstate.

The AGM batteries are more expensive. I paid $175 at Costco. However, the information I've been able to find indicates that they are better able to tolerate a situation in which the car is not driven for an extended period. Although I normally drive my Boxster several times per week, we had some ice and snow during the winter and I didn't drive it for about 10 days. That is when I had the starting issue. The AGM battery also has a 3-year full replacement warranty.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 05-31-2022 at 05:38 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 02:39 AM   #12
Seal1968

Great information, thanks gents!
Old 06-10-2022, 01:41 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
My Boxster failed to start once last winter and I had to jump start it. During the last few weeks if I drove a short distance the car sounded like it was barely turning over when I restarted it. I checked my records and the battery was 7-years old.

I decided that I was risking another failure and replaced it with an Interstate AGM battery in size H7 (94R.) The H7 is larger than the battery I removed (Bosch 48-690B.) The H7/94R Interstate battery is rated at 850 CCA. Consumer Reports tested a smaller H6 Interstate AGM battery which the manufacturer rated at 760 CCA. It rated the life expectancy as 5/5, the CCA as 4/5 and the reserve capacity as 4/5. They rated an Optima H6 ($290) and an Odyssey Performance ($260) slightly higher than the Interstate.

The AGM batteries are more expensive. I paid $175 at Costco. However, the information I've been able to find indicates that they are better able to tolerate a situation in which the car is not driven for an extended period. Although I normally drive my Boxster several times per week, we had some ice and snow during the winter and I didn't drive it for about 10 days. That is when I had the starting issue. The AGM battery also has a 3-year full replacement warranty.
Kevin, I had the same issue with my 01S, where the first start is cold it has no problems turning over, but after a short stop to get gas or pickup food, the restart is slow. When I leave it for over an hour or two inbetween stops, the problem is not as noticeable. It isn't a battery issue or alternator, since those two were replaced recently with new parts. I've read here that the alternator wiring harness is heat soaked and causes the slow turnover.
I haven't confirmed that since i haven't fixed this yet in my car since it has always started, albeit slow. The harness is not too expensive, but I've heard it is a bear to replace.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
Kevin, I had the same issue with my 01S, where the first start is cold it has no problems turning over, but after a short stop to get gas or pickup food, the restart is slow. When I leave it for over an hour or two inbetween stops, the problem is not as noticeable. It isn't a battery issue or alternator, since those two were replaced recently with new parts. I've read here that the alternator wiring harness is heat soaked and causes the slow turnover.
I haven't confirmed that since i haven't fixed this yet in my car since it has always started, albeit slow. The harness is not too expensive, but I've heard it is a bear to replace.
Please explain to me how the alternator wiring harness is involved in the starter circuit.???
Old 06-10-2022, 02:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
The alternator and its harness play absolutely no role in the starting process; what you are describing is a classic case of voltage drop cross primary battery cables that are corroded either internally or at the terminals and showing increasing resistance when either warm or hot. You can prove this to yourself by simply running a voltage drop test on the cables; anything more than 0.5 volt drop and the cables need to be replaced.
Old 06-10-2022, 03:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The alternator and its harness play absolutely no role in the starting process; what you are describing is a classic case of voltage drop cross primary battery cables that are corroded either internally or at the terminals and showing increasing resistance when either warm or hot. You can prove this to yourself by simply running a voltage drop test on the cables; anything more than 0.5 volt drop and the cables need to be replaced.
Yes and when he says the "restart is slow" with engine warm.
Does he mean the starter spins the engine over slower when warm then it does when the engine is cold???? Which would be caused by the voltage drop situation you describe.
Or does he mean the starter spins the engine over for a longer period of time before it starts when warm versus cold.???? Which often times is caused by an issue with the EVAP. system. Things like the purge valve being stuck open.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #17

The starter cable is known to get heat soaked. Best thing to do is replace it with a better gauge wire.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 01:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Yes and when he says the "restart is slow" with engine warm.
Does he mean the starter spins the engine over slower when warm then it does when the engine is cold???? Which would be caused by the voltage drop situation you describe.
Or does he mean the starter spins the engine over for a longer period of time before it starts when warm versus cold.???? Which often times is caused by an issue with the EVAP. system. Things like the purge valve being stuck open.
Easy enough to find out: Run a voltage drop test………
Old 06-12-2022, 05:15 AM   #19
Seal1968

Update: picked up a new Delco battery yesterday. 780 CCA, fits nicely, starts like a champ.

$228 CAN with a 30 month warranty included.

I changed the battery in the parking lot and they even took my old one for free.

One less project!
Old 06-13-2022, 09:38 AM   #20

Seal1968,

I see you're in Chatsworth and I'd imagine it gets quite chilly up there. The 780cca battery will do you good for a while to come. I recommend getting a trickle charger / battery tender and having it connected when you aren't driving it for more than a week.

I replaced my previous battery with an Interstate (sorry, I forget exactly which one) and it works well but not as high CCA as yours, but okay for Toronto weather. I leave mine connected to a battery tender when not in use for over a week and it has held up well so far.

Our Toyota factory-installed Panasonic (made in Japan) battery in our daily driver failed literally after the 5 year mark. It has a low CCA and died this past winter as it couldn't be saved after the harsh winter we had last year. I replaced it with a Motomaster battery and so far so good. The fit isn't perfect, but for the price, I will not complain.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 06-13-2022 at 09:46 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote