Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2022, 07:55 AM   #1

zero mod, H7 LED headlight bulbs?

I did some searches, but I am wondering if there are any good, no mod needed, drop right in, good LED bulbs to replace the standard H7 headlamps?

Found a bunch on amazon, and even walmart, but wondered if others have already sorted this option out successfully?

or poste related thread if I missed in my searches thanks!

Old 04-10-2022, 02:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
I did some searches, but I am wondering if there are any good, no mod needed, drop right in, good LED bulbs to replace the standard H7 headlamps?

Found a bunch on amazon, and even walmart, but wondered if others have already sorted this option out successfully?

or poste related thread if I missed in my searches thanks!
I have Firehawk in my low beams and acuma in my high beams. Install is a bit of a trick because the retaining latch won't seat over bulb base. You must remove the retaining latch, position it around the bulb base, install the light, and then reseat the retaining latch. You'll understand what I mean when you do it. Other than that though there is no modification necessary and I really like them. They absolutely have their drawbacks (light pattern, cri, etc), but the new ones are far better than the first generation.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2022, 03:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I have Firehawk in my low beams and acuma in my high beams. Install is a bit of a trick because the retaining latch won't seat over bulb base. You must remove the retaining latch, position it around the bulb base, install the light, and then reseat the retaining latch. You'll understand what I mean when you do it. Other than that though there is no modification necessary and I really like them. They absolutely have their drawbacks (light pattern, cri, etc), but the new ones are far better than the first generation.

Thanks, and interesting. So, if I want the best lighting coverage, perhaps I should stuck with the halogens? sounds like the LED light pattern not as good?
I'm not going for a look, just great, bright night driving, thought LED might be better
Old 04-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #4

Aftermarket LEDs used for headlights have significant drawbacks. This is why they're not actually even legal in the US (OEM or aftermarket). If you have the litronics, that's likely the best setup you can get.

Fwiw, I think my current setup is far better than the OEM incandescent bulbs that they replaced though.

You can find plenty of good resources explaining this stuff online. It's not specific to these cars.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:42 AM   #5
FoFoJoe

Garage
I recently installed some good looking brand off Amazon in my 01 base. The other commenter was spot on about the retaining bracket.

The lights were fine, but immediately after I started getting this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21uzmrdZk-k

Now the weird thing is, I swapped back to only halogen bulbs and the issue persists. I spoke with my indy and he thinks its the turn signal stalk and assembly, and that it just happened to die when the LED's were installed.

I haven't fixed it yet, and I'm planning to make a separate post to investigate further.

So in summary, light projection was decent with LED's, but I had an unexpected issue pop up that may or may not be related.
- FunctionFirst shift knob/short shift kit
- Focal speakers/Alpine amp/Kenwood deck/Pioneer 8" subs
FoFoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #6

Please don’t put hid or led into non projector housings. You are blinding us. Light pattern will probably be crap. Try to get some litronics after some patience I managed to find a set for 550 and sold my halogens for 500
Escott1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:40 PM   #7

thanks for all this info. I went with standard H7s
just wondered if LED had fully evolved yet. sounds like no.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:16 AM   #8

Osram has a product that is called Osram Night Breaker LED. These are H7 LED bulbs which are tested to specific vehicles and are officially street legal over here in Germany. So they have a so called ABE (Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis).

Unfortunately there is no product for Porsche cars available yet.

Here is the present compatibility list (in german language only): https://www.osram.de/am/night-breaker-led/index.jsp
Old 09-19-2023, 05:21 PM   #9

Just bumping for any updates in this LED Direct Replacement field??

I'm very happy with my very bright H7 Sylvania Silverstar Ultras, but seeing more LED "bulbs" popping up.

Anyone try anything good?
Old 09-19-2023, 08:40 PM   #10

I used bulbs from here and they work just fine-

https://www.superbrightleds.com/h7-led-headlight-foglight-conversion-kit-with-internal-drivers-fanless-4000-lumens-set

Some older LED replacements just put the actual LED emitters wherever they wanted, trying to pack as many as they could in the available space for maximum brightness. The ones I use and other quality units take care to place the emitters only where the original bulbs have their filament. The resulting light pattern is very close to the original bulb, and doesn't have the horrible multi direction glare that I usually see in 90's Civics running garbage quality LEDs.

I do expect the Litronics would be superior. I don't think the extra cost is worth it, though.
Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I used bulbs from here and they work just fine-

https://www.superbrightleds.com/h7-led-headlight-foglight-conversion-kit-with-internal-drivers-fanless-4000-lumens-set

Some older LED replacements just put the actual LED emitters wherever they wanted, trying to pack as many as they could in the available space for maximum brightness. The ones I use and other quality units take care to place the emitters only where the original bulbs have their filament. The resulting light pattern is very close to the original bulb, and doesn't have the horrible multi direction glare that I usually see in 90's Civics running garbage quality LEDs.

I do expect the Litronics would be superior. I don't think the extra cost is worth it, though.
these look decent. can you explain the load resistor kit? is that needed also?
Old 09-23-2023, 11:39 AM   #12

I didn't use them, I think they're for cars that have bulb out warnings for the driver. If the computer doesn't see load within some spec for the original type of bulb, then it might throw a warning light on the dash kind of thing. That's speculation, though. I have had no problems using them without resistors.

Hasdrubal is offline   Reply With Quote