Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I bought a twin

So i went ahead and bought a new 98 silver Boxster. This car was found locally and has half as many miles as my current car. My plan is to swap some of my favorite parts from the current car to the new one. When I'm all done swapping I'll sell the higher mileage one.

I've also sourced a somewhat local car being turned into a race car. That is good because I'm not sure I like the interior color of the new car. So i will most likely do a complete interior swap as well.

One problem with the new one is the top. It was converted to manual and it still has the plastic window. I will be getting a aftermarket glass window top with frame. The frame on the plastic window actually broke at the driver side ball joint point. So seeing I needed a new frame anyway I thought I would get a whole top and frame complete.

Troubleshooting why the PO converted to manual I noticed the ball joint part was broken (this was before I bought the car). So I already assumed something was pretty wrong with the system to break the frame. While pushing the top button I can see only drivers side transmission spins. The passenger side does nothing and seems to jammed. So i will be taking at least that side transmission apart, probably both. I'm hoping it is just a broken gear, but we shall see.

Other problems so far are the ignition switch is a little wonky, easy fix. Rear spoiler is binding up on one side. May remove this completely if I put the Aero kit trunk lid on this car. And so far that's about it.

I will keep this thread going as I transform the car this spring.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Old 04-07-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage

Started by changing the headlights.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:35 AM   #4

Easy place to start. Will enjoy watching the transformation.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:59 PM   #5

What color interior will you be taking out and replacing with what color?

What else are you swapping over?
Old 04-07-2022, 02:31 PM   #6
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Replacing gray with black carpet, seats, door cards, dash and roll bar hoops.

Besides that project not much. Just swapping wheels, headlights, tail lights, trunk lid, front and rear bumper covers, all interior blue lighting, some rubber seals, center console, e-brake, steering wheel and modified muffler.

Things i'm not swapping just buying new are Ben's shift kit, paint brakes red, rotors, pads, ignition switch, top w/ frame, whatever parts I need to make the top work and i'm sure I'll think of more stuff.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:01 PM   #7

Garage
That's fun I did the same thing but only ended up swapping the hardtop and the plastic wind deflectors that go in the seat.
CharlesE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:42 PM   #8

two different headlights?
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Replacing gray with black carpet, seats, door cards, dash and roll bar hoops.

Besides that project not much. Just swapping wheels, headlights, tail lights, trunk lid, front and rear bumper covers, all interior blue lighting, some rubber seals, center console, e-brake, steering wheel and modified muffler.

Things i'm not swapping just buying new are Ben's shift kit, paint brakes red, rotors, pads, ignition switch, top w/ frame, whatever parts I need to make the top work and i'm sure I'll think of more stuff.
I feel your pain with a silver car and gray interior. I have an '02S the same colors. It's a terrific running and handling car, but, (no offense to silver/gray owners) it is the most bland, boring looking Boxster in my fleet of 9.

I've updated the headlights, side markers and tail lights, but it's still a boring looking car. Maybe it needs a racing stripe!

I'm looking forward to seeing the transformation - keep us updated and post a bunch of pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2022, 03:16 AM   #10
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
two different headlights?
Haha it's a good look no?
Old 04-08-2022, 03:18 AM   #11
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Just remembered I need to swap the side marker lights and the sun visors as well. I'm going to be pretty busy this spring.

Last edited by tommy583; 04-08-2022 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:47 AM   #12

Quote:
just remembered I need to swap the side marker lights and the sin visors as well. I'm going to be pretty busy this spring.
Busy, but everything you're doing is fun.

A Boxster is such a mix/match car. There's so much a person can do with one to make it "their" car simply by using factory options from different years and putting together the car that's exactly how they want one.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:04 AM   #13
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Ok so I'm about to set off on a little road trip to get the top for the new car. Man I love this forum, without it how would we get all the parts we need for our cars?
Old 05-12-2022, 07:20 AM   #14
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Hi all, just updating this thread with the progress on the car so far. The weather here has finally warmed up and stopped raining everyday so I've been able to start working on the car more regularly.

So far I have swapped the headlights, tail lights, sun visors, wheels, wheel spacers, e-brake handle, shift knob/boot, Bens short shifter, center console, steering wheel, air bag, all switches with blue LED's, gauge LED's, HVAC controller w/blue LED, clear side markers and all trunk seals.

Added US spec lighters one always on and one with switched power for radar detector. Added black heated seats and black floor mats. Added new (used) glass window soft top and new wipers.

I disabled the rear spoiler because it doesn't work correctly. I was considering swapping the whole aero kit from the old car, then the spoiler wouldn't matter because of the fixed wing and longer trunk lid. I've decided against that now. It seems like the factory fitted aero kits actually drill holes to hold a rail below the doors that hold the side skirt. I don't want to have to deal filling the holes, so the old car will keep the aero kit and at some point I will fix the spoiler.

I took off the front bumper cover and cleaned out the radiators. Lots of junk in there but no dead birds thank god. While it was off I washed of the air intakes and used some back to black to make them look like new. I also added mesh using plastic gutter guard. I put it on the outside of the grills, i think it looks better like that. I got a Roll of it at Lowes, it was on clearance for $0.33.

Things I still need to do are: Pads, rotors, paint calipers, swap mufflers, install carpet, door cards and dashboard. I also want to make the top automatic again. Once I'm confident it is working correctly I will put the one touch relay in. I need to make the heated seats work.

I have a 996 throttle body I may swap, not sure yet. At some point I will change the water pump and put in a low temp T-stat. That's about all for now.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #15

You could just switch the trunk and wing and leave the side skirts. That is what i would do, never liked the motorized spoiler. I will likely delete mine.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:25 PM   #16
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I've thought of that. I don't like the motorized spoiler either. If I keep it I'll probably get the joe toth ducktale but just leave the pop up part disabled.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:18 PM   #17

Quote:
I've thought of that. I don't like the motorized spoiler either. If I keep it I'll probably get the joe toth ducktale but just leave the pop up part disabled.
No way dude, go gt styling!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2022, 08:13 AM   #18
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
HAHA I don't know if I have the smooth style for that look.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:57 PM   #19

It's definitely not a popular option for the 986/996 generation but all the modern rs series porsches use them (for good reason!).

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2022, 06:59 PM   #20
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Yesterday I swapped out the stock base muffler for my internally modified S model one. Now it sounds like a proper sports car.

Today I took it easy. The only thing of note I did was put the spoiler on correctly since it seems I missed getting a couple of the tabs to go under the lip on the metal part, installed my carbon fiber license plate frame and made my top into semi-auto. I hooked up the clamshell to the transmission so it now sits flush with the trunk lid. It was driving my crazy that it didn't sit flush with the top up. It was even worse with the top down. Now it sits flush top up or down.

Next steps are make the top fully automatic and do the new pads, rotors, paint calipers and apply silver stickers. I have taken a bunch of pics during the transformation and will be posting them soon.

I'll be taking my first longer road trip tomorrow to Pittsburgh, about a 5 1/2 trip one way. Wish me luck.