Thread: I bought a twin
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
tommy583
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I bought a twin

So i went ahead and bought a new 98 silver Boxster. This car was found locally and has half as many miles as my current car. My plan is to swap some of my favorite parts from the current car to the new one. When I'm all done swapping I'll sell the higher mileage one.

I've also sourced a somewhat local car being turned into a race car. That is good because I'm not sure I like the interior color of the new car. So i will most likely do a complete interior swap as well.

One problem with the new one is the top. It was converted to manual and it still has the plastic window. I will be getting a aftermarket glass window top with frame. The frame on the plastic window actually broke at the driver side ball joint point. So seeing I needed a new frame anyway I thought I would get a whole top and frame complete.

Troubleshooting why the PO converted to manual I noticed the ball joint part was broken (this was before I bought the car). So I already assumed something was pretty wrong with the system to break the frame. While pushing the top button I can see only drivers side transmission spins. The passenger side does nothing and seems to jammed. So i will be taking at least that side transmission apart, probably both. I'm hoping it is just a broken gear, but we shall see.

Other problems so far are the ignition switch is a little wonky, easy fix. Rear spoiler is binding up on one side. May remove this completely if I put the Aero kit trunk lid on this car. And so far that's about it.

I will keep this thread going as I transform the car this spring.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote