Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2022, 04:05 PM   #1

Fuel pump problems

Several months back I had the fuel pump replaced in my 2002 boxster. I also installed a brand new interstate battery. I drove it a total of three times before it quit. The third drive I was headed home, hit a bump and the engine died within a few seconds. I checked battery cables, and looked for any loose connections, found none and the car wouldn’t start after repeated attempts. The battery still worked, dash lights came on and engine cranked but would not turn over. I’ve had the battery tested at my local interstate store, it’s fine. I checked all the connections on the top of the fuel pump sending unit and everything is tight. I do see a stray vacuum hose to left (passenger) side of battery compartment area. But I don’t see that it was attached anywhere. I’ll upload a couple of photos shortly. I do hear what I think is the fuel pump buzzing when I turn the key to on position. Engine cranks but won’t turn over feels like no fuel is getting to the engine.

CD986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:33 PM   #2

There's a procedure for testing the fuel pump delivery volume as well as checking rail pressure... Search the forum and you will find it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2022, 08:19 PM   #3

Simplest things first.
Make sure it is a fuel delivery problem.
Get a can of starter fluid.
Find any vacuum hose going into the intake.
disconnect it.
Spray starter fluid into the intake plenum.
Crank the engine.
If the engine does not fire then it is indeed a fuel delivery issue.
If the engine fires it is a spark issue.
Cheap easy simple first test that will tell you if it is a fuel problem or a spark problem.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:15 AM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Does the tachometer move at all when cranking?

I have a feeling you may have a clogged fuel filter (which is integrated into the sending unit, thanks Porsche ). I had a similar issue where I’d replace the pump, drive it once (for about 7-10 miles), then the next day it wouldn’t run at all. It took several pump replacements before determining the filter was clogged and burning up the pump. Replaced both with good used from DC Auto and it’s been fine since.

If there’s no activity with the pump when jumpered or any pressure at the rail, the sending unit may be the culprit.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:48 AM   #5

Very quick way to tell if you're getting fuel to the engine is to release the quick connection on the fuel line. It's underneath on the left side between the engine and firewall. No tools needed and it takes two seconds. Put a pan under it, turn the ignition on for 1 second. Just long enough for the fuel pump to prime.