Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2022, 07:27 AM   #1

Best on-line sources for used 9886 Boxster parts

Its been a while since I was active in the used 986 Boxster market. Back then (3 years ago), the market seemed active. I listed here and eBay and could buy/sell in a few days, certainly within a week. These days, much to my surprise, even after a couple of weeks, I am not getting much interest in either a 6 speed manual transmission or a 3.2L M96.21 engine out of a 2001 S so I'm wondering if a new marketplace has popped up. I am now also listing on Rennlist. Some might reason that my the price is too high, but the items are priced at the low end of eBay listings and discounted below that here and Rennlist because there is no eBay fee. What do you think? I'm puzzled.

Thanks,
Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:11 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellr8 View Post
Its been a while since I was active in the used 986 Boxster market. Back then (3 years ago), the market seemed active. I listed here and eBay and could buy/sell in a few days, certainly within a week. These days, much to my surprise, even after a couple of weeks, I am not getting much interest in either a 6 speed manual transmission or a 3.2L M96.21 engine out of a 2001 S so I'm wondering if a new marketplace has popped up. I am now also listing on Rennlist. Some might reason that my the price is too high, but the items are priced at the low end of eBay listings and discounted below that here and Rennlist because there is no eBay fee. What do you think? I'm puzzled.

Thanks,
Joe
I picked up a hand brake at https://www.redlineautoparts.com/porsche/ I think there is also a reputable online store in Texas but I forget the name. Redline is in FL.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 12:11 PM   #3

facebook market is where most are migrating to
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 04:38 PM   #4

Ahh yes, facebook. Not on there currently, but will consider it. Thanks, Joe

Last edited by Xcellr8; 03-21-2022 at 04:39 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 03-22-2022, 03:06 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

Thanks,
Joe
We've had, and have, a couple fellas upon this community board sell parts over the years... and have been quite successful at it. What I have recognized is that they usually treat their board-brothers (and sisters) to some quite nice discounts on parts.

You might consider listing your parts to "strangers" for a higher price and, as an enthusiast yourself... significantly lower your prices for us "members". You know... give us the right of first refusal. In other words... give us, here, a break. If someone you don't know (not "us") wants or can pay a higher price... more power to you.

For example... from people I've associated with upon this board I managed to replace my 4-spoke steering wheel with a nice 3-spoke for $100. Another $100 for the airbag. Rear diffusers? $100. Rear aftermarket wing? $100. I've a nice little list of those "member" discounts.

Likely you get my drift.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:25 AM   #6

Forum member discounts

I couldn't agree more! Currently I have offered the transmission, engine, and immobilzer set EACH with a discount of at least $100 below the lowest ebay price. The forum has been a great source of information and I'm happy to be giving back a little.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:21 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
I couldn't agree more! Currently I have offered the transmission, engine, and immobilzer set EACH with a discount of at least $100 below the lowest ebay price. The forum has been a great source of information and I'm happy to be giving back a little.
What else do you have for sale? Do you have entire cars fron which you can remove parts (as needed) to sell? Any aftermarket performance parts? Appearance parts? Just plain old, "I need the X parts"?

While selling engine(s) and transmission(s) is swell... it's those usual and customary parts that could nab you a few bites.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:44 PM   #8

Posted a few other parts in the classified section

I purchased an 01S with the idea of turning it into a race car. I already have a formula V and thought the added sheet metal for protection might make me a better racer, but alas, I now believe my time has passed. I'll look for a historic racer and pursue a lower key on track experience. Hence, the 01S is now being parted out. Just posted a few other parts today.

Thanks,
Joe