Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2022, 10:06 AM   #1

Hit a bad pothole. Have alignment numbers. What's bent?

I hit a *very* bad pothole on the right side of the car which bent the front right and rear wheel. They are fixed and the car no longer shudders.

I took the car to an alignment shop and got an initial reading. The numbers aren't great. I think it's safe to say the struts are bent, causing the negative camber. The toe isn't so bad and there's most likely enough adjustment available to correct it. Do you think I can get away without replacing any of the suspension arms? If not, knowing the geometry of a Boxster suspension and robustness of the different arms, what would most likely be bent? I know I'm asking for speculation, but I don't have access to a lift and so it's hard to compare the damaged side with the undamaged side. Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

Last edited by 986lp; 03-14-2022 at 10:13 AM.
986lp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:33 AM   #2
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Sorry to hear.
US roads and potholes...oh boy
I still would like to see mobile Lidar pothole detection/warning apps.
Maybe...someday...
Old 03-14-2022, 11:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986lp View Post
I hit a *very* bad pothole on the right side of the car which bent the front right and rear wheel. They are fixed and the car no longer shudders.

I took the car to an alignment shop and got an initial reading. The numbers aren't great. I think it's safe to say the struts are bent, causing the negative camber. The toe isn't so bad and there's most likely enough adjustment available to correct it. Do you think I can get away without replacing any of the suspension arms? If not, knowing the geometry of a Boxster suspension and robustness of the different arms, what would most likely be bent? I know I'm asking for speculation, but I don't have access to a lift and so it's hard to compare the damaged side with the undamaged side. Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

Everything from the looks of it.............
Old 03-16-2022, 05:11 AM   #4

I have 2 LCAs that I want to get rid of. $50 for the pair. I'll sell the trailing arm for $20 if you want it. Plus shipping.

LCAs, Trailing Arms, RCA
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 03:16 AM   #5

Nearly impossible to tell online. Lift it upz take off wheel and have a poke around...should be fairly obvious
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:28 AM   #6

Generally you can't tell by looking if the upright is bent. Control arms and strut tower should be obvious though.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:09 PM   #7

The front right strut was damaged and so I have ordered a new one. I have taken the rear right corner apart and it's not clear what's wrong—as far as I can tell neither the strut or control arms are bent.

What else should I check?

Old 03-20-2022, 05:48 PM   #8

I think you know that camber is adjustable and it may be just misaligned due to impact, instead of something is broken or bent, right? Did the shock get bottomed out when running over a pothole? Arms are aluminum so I’d think it will crack under stress.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 02:41 PM   #9

I had a thought. Though the car went over the pothole on the right side, the left side numbers were thrown off too, which could suggest that the subframe shifted? (I suppose that's best case scenario—rather than subframe or frame bent).

From the damage, the left side alignment did the opposite of the right, basically—less camber camber and less toe on the left, more camber and more toe on the right.

I've looked at the parts diagrams and the service manual, but I can't tell what are the big bolts I should examine for shifting. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Old 03-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #10

Garage
The subframe could be bent or cracked. No disaster, used parts are available, not too hard to change.

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote