Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2022, 01:03 AM   #1

Official Porsche spare parts - Made in China

Porsche spare parts are now Made in China.

Bought from an official Porsche dealership over here in Germany.

Last edited by Smallblock454; 02-17-2022 at 01:05 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:40 AM   #2

Garage
So there's the depressing news for the day.
Bean-counters! Ugh.
Old 02-17-2022, 07:55 AM   #3

So should we all abandon our Boxsters now that parts and pretty much everything in our daily lives are made in China?
Old 02-17-2022, 10:39 AM   #4

Hate to break the news but bosch has been making a majority of their automotive parts in China for over a decade.

The good news is that the difference between"OEM" Chinese and knockoff Chinese products is that the OEM mfg services are directly supervised (supposedly) by the corporate quality guys, obviously the knockoff factories aren't.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #5

For some reason, it really tickles me that people searching for parts on their Chinese made smart phone, or Chinese made computer are concerned about if the parts are made in China.

We use Moog and TRW suspension and driveline components on many customer cars as well as our own, and have done for decades; and Moog ang TRW have been making a lot of their stuff in China for decades. It ain't where it's made, it's how it's made; to what material and tolerance specs.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:47 PM   #6

Fred (Nine8Six) doesn't come around here any longer, but those of us who remember him learned that nicely made parts could come from China. Not just the things he made for us on the side, he was involved with the manufacture of all kinds of automotive and motorcycle parts and accessories. If things are knockoffs or made to a low price point, they're bad, and if they're made to exacting standards, they're good, regardless of where they come from. If Porsche is selling factory parts made in China, I'm sure they are more than fine.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:47 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Hate to break the news but bosch has been making a majority of their automotive parts in China for over a decade.

The good news is that the difference between"OEM" Chinese and knockoff Chinese products is that the OEM mfg services are directly supervised (supposedly) by the corporate quality guys, obviously the knockoff factories aren't.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Or, as one company I worked for found, the factory ran extra shifts off the books, with the production results also off the books.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #8

all the above is true...But I still don't like it..
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
For some reason, it really tickles me that people searching for parts on their Chinese made smart phone, or Chinese made computer are concerned about if the parts are made in China.

We use Moog and TRW suspension and driveline components on many customer cars as well as our own, and have done for decades; and Moog ang TRW have been making a lot of their stuff in China for decades. It ain't where it's made, it's how it's made; to what material and tolerance specs.
Unrelated to anything Porsche, but I used to swear by Moog parts. Recently though, I've been getting sub-par parts from Moog. I've had 2 wheel hubs go bad in less than 6000 miles. And the sway bar links I got from them are poorly machined. Moog has gone seriously downhill in a very short time. But that's just my perspective.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Unrelated to anything Porsche, but I used to swear by Moog parts. Recently though, I've been getting sub-par parts from Moog. I've had 2 wheel hubs go bad in less than 6000 miles. And the sway bar links I got from them are poorly machined. Moog has gone seriously downhill in a very short time. But that's just my perspective.
Just about every parts supplier screws up from time to time, but we haven't seen any major issues to date. In fact today, we just got in lower control arms, sway bar drop links, upper strut bearings, strut boots, and bumpers for a single Asian make vehicle, all from Moog, and everything was as expected, fit well and got the front suspension refit done and out the door.