Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2022, 05:14 PM   #1
ecp

Modify an aftermarket muffler?

I’ve been poking around with different mufflers and can’t seem to be pleased with any combo I try. I’ve tried two modded stock mufflers (like the fister) but it just sounded like a raspy fart can. I have a circuit werks v2 muffler and it’s been my favorite, except for the drone. I was looking at the fab speed muffler and the 987 muffler and they seem to have a pipe connecting the two separate mufflers.

The v2 is basically the same as the other twin can aftermarket designs but has an x pipe before the tips. I was wondering if anyone has ever actually attempted to do this. I’ve seen people talk about it but never heard of anyone actually doing it or any results. There is also enough space to where I could put a resonator connecting the two.

Any input would be appreciated.

ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:48 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecp View Post
I’ve been poking around with different mufflers and can’t seem to be pleased with any combo I try. I’ve tried two modded stock mufflers (like the fister) but it just sounded like a raspy fart can. I have a circuit werks v2 muffler and it’s been my favorite, except for the drone. I was looking at the fab speed muffler and the 987 muffler and they seem to have a pipe connecting the two separate mufflers.

The v2 is basically the same as the other twin can aftermarket designs but has an x pipe before the tips. I was wondering if anyone has ever actually attempted to do this. I’ve seen people talk about it but never heard of anyone actually doing it or any results. There is also enough space to where I could put a resonator connecting the two.

Any input would be appreciated.
I was wondering about that too. What year is your car? I installed headers on my 02 and that removed the front cats that were built into the stock headers. Thinking of going with the Circuit Werks V2 option and their performance mid-pipe 200 cel cat option. That is if they ever come back in stock on the muffler set up. My question is did you just install the muffler or have you done the headers / mid-pipe and muffler.
The flow rates or additional back pressure of stock cats may or may not affect or contribute to the drone. Not sure. Just wondering
I also have noticed that some of the higher end set ups will have an x-pipe or some type of cross-over to perhaps try and reduce the drone by 'crossing out' the pulses.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 02:14 PM   #3
ecp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
I was wondering about that too. What year is your car? I installed headers on my 02 and that removed the front cats that were built into the stock headers. Thinking of going with the Circuit Werks V2 option and their performance mid-pipe 200 cel cat option. That is if they ever come back in stock on the muffler set up. My question is did you just install the muffler or have you done the headers / mid-pipe and muffler.
The flow rates or additional back pressure of stock cats may or may not affect or contribute to the drone. Not sure. Just wondering
I also have noticed that some of the higher end set ups will have an x-pipe or some type of cross-over to perhaps try and reduce the drone by 'crossing out' the pulses.
Sorry for late response, I have an 03s. I went with a borla muffler, and full catless, haven’t looked back and love the sound. The biggest surprise was power gains, no drone and no weird noises when it decelerates. I think since it’s a true dual exhaust it helps, but that’s just been my experience so far. There is some drone, but I mostly go top down anyway. I’d give it a look if you’re still exhaust shopping.

Also, I got the 200 cell pipes and when I ran it with the v2 muffler the drone was nauseating. I took it off after a week. Straight pipe was the way to go for me

Last edited by ecp; 06-05-2022 at 02:16 PM.
ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #4

Garage
cool

Thank you for the reply. I am currently waiting on Ardent Exhaust to complete my exhaust build. They look to have a real nice set up, I was thinking Borla too- have used them in the past and they make quality parts. But by the time I added in the mid pipes and etc, the cost is about the same and the Ardent system seems well made. Just waiting on it to arrive. Will be catless as well. Did apply some sound deadening material to the trunk as I had to do the coolant catch tank so while I was in there and the carpet was out seemed like a good time. The trunk lid and rear body panels do have a thicker feel to them when you give them a tap with your knuckles. So hoping that might help to reduce some of the vibrations. will add to the front engine firewall (behind the seats) and maybe that will help with droning. I too ride topless 95% of the time, have the luxury of living in South Florida and take out in evenings and never when rain is imminent so no cabin drone to worry about. I'll try to remember to post back when I get it installed and put some miles on.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:56 PM   #5

That sound deadening wont make any difference even with the top up let alone down. Not a bad idea to do either way, but there is a good amount already under the car behind your seats. There is carpet, which has very thick foam padding, plus some foam on the engine panel. The trunk has a seal on it also, but there is nothing in there that makes any noise.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:03 PM   #6

I bought a Top Speed exhaust and it does have drone..but ..when you are on the gas..( I think ) it's sound Great,..if you go to U-Tube and look up top speed, there was a 01-02 boxster with about a minuets worth of sound the guy was backing out of his driveway..might help...I paid 450.00 for mine..GL Frank
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:11 PM   #7

I double checked its a blue 1999 with a top speed system
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:45 AM   #8
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

The factory muffler….

……is part of the harmonic balance of the entire drivetrain.

If you switch to a twin tube muffler, the interior drone will appear.

The only foolproof muffler that gives good sound, but not “Fast & Furious” levels of sound, and does not drone on the highway, is the FVD Brombacher “Sound Version” muffler.

BUT, it’s super, stupid expensive.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:26 PM   #9

I have the dansk super sound and 200 cell cats. Zero drone. Only loud when on it. Sound is aggressive but a bit raspy, but not Honda raspy. It’s a great sound.
Sand blister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
……is part of the harmonic balance of the entire drivetrain.

10 is right. If you straight pipe an m96, you will experience this firsthand. There is drone (harmonic resonance). This is why the 986 muffler weighs as kuch as it does. That's the amount of steel it takes to create the resonance chambers to balance this out. Yes, the 996 has a split muffler system, but the mass of steel is the same and the only reason they used different configurations was because of space constraints.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this-Don't expect any muffler or exhaust setup to simply increase the sound by a few db. If you change one part, you change the whole system. Replacing the stock muffler is sort of the equivalent to adding water to a mogwai - you're gonna get a gremlin. Whether that's what you wanted though is a different question.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2022, 12:49 PM   #11

Garage
I´we tried a few... Agree that the FVD Sound version is great, looks like the OEM-thing, but actually weighs a bit less. I ran it with 200cel cats but this gave drone, removed the cats entirely and... No drone, great sound!

Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote