Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2022, 07:32 AM   #1

Wet CLU, All Works except Top and Starter

CLU got wet, started after bailing the water and numerous attempts but had to get fuel. Fuel door locked, had to turn off motor to unlock door (locking system was not working). Got fuel, no start. Tried several times whilst waiting for AAA. When they got there, tried again and started. Drove back to the house. Bailed more water, started once then nothing.
Cleaned the board, everything works (keys, locks, rear defroster, et cetera) except the top and starter. No codes, fuses removed/replaced, all relays removed/replaced, DME plugs reconnected.
Tried grounding the Start Relay YE/VI/BR wire in the trunk, it works with power on the relay YE/BK arm but no starter.
Bentley book says there is a Relay Start Lock wire that connects to the same starter terminal as the Start Relay but the stupid book says it connects to grid C183. The grid stops at 160.
How can I drop the top manually so I can get at the starter? Bentley only shows how to close it by removing the cables.
Should I remove the top relay and apply power to the II/5 ans II/7 terminals?
Anything else to check?
Thanks.

magno_grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:02 AM   #2

Garage
I believe You can manually open the top by taking the clips off the clamshell arms that connects the clamshell to the tops transmission. And prying off the pushrod that connects the top too. Theres 2 clips on each clamshell arm you have to use a flathead to open and pry off. I haven't done it in a while but I think to get to it you have to take the covers off the top from the inside.

Here's a video https://youtu.be/K7xV1T6tl2Y at 4:30 he takes the clips off
CharlesE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:53 AM   #3

Thanks, I was able to open the top by jumping power to the motor through relay contacts II/5 and II/7. Used the convenient wires in the CLU connector.
Before tearing into the intake to get at the starter I am going to try more with the start relay in the trunk. Also check the signals at the top relay.
Worst case build a new relay without all the interlock for idiots controls. $244 is quite expensive for two relays with a few other components.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:07 PM   #4

Applied power to the start relay output, jumpered from one of the other relays. The start motor works. Checked the power from the ignition switch to the start relay.
So far, traced it back to the DME not powering the DME Main Relay (which Bentley calls the Relay Support Rear in the wiring diagram).
Old 03-30-2022, 11:09 AM   #5

Replaced a relay on the CLU but still dead. Long story short, bought another CLU, replaced the EEPROM with the one from my old CLU, everything works.
The "EE" in EEPROM means Electrically Erasable so the CLU should be able to be reprogrammed unless the FPGA has code which prevents that. I suspect it is a dealer scam. Same with the keys, the CLU can be programmed with four keys so you do not need to buy new keys with eth CLU.