Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 06:09 PM   #1

has anyone successfully replaced only the plastic window instead of the entire top???

there is a guy selling just the plastic on ebay specifically mentioning the boxster.

bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
are you talking about the one that u have to use a needle and whanot to put it in there?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
are you talking about the one that u have to use a needle and whanot to put it in there?
looks like it....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-Plastic-Window-911-Convertible-Cabrio_W0QQitemZ230049057867QQihZ013QQcategoryZ336 52QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but actually I meant has anyone had a shop successfully replace only the plastic.

Last edited by bagwell; 11-14-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:58 PM   #4

nobody? anybody?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:09 PM   #5

I'm actually looking into this right now, since about 10 inches of the stiching fell apart 4 days ago! I've been quoted prices from $250 to $600, by auto upholstery/top shops here in Los Angeles, CA. I'm supposed to have it done next week. Only one shop recommended I replace the entire top, because I have 2 weak spots, for a cost of approx $1,450. But everyone else told me my top is still good. What a racket! I'll post how replacing just the plastic window turns out. I'm told the original window has a green tint, but that alot of people opt to have a clear window put in for supposedly better visibility.
sunsetbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:34 PM   #6

When I bought my car back in the Spring, I made the dealer replace the rear window before taking delivery. I think it ran the dealer around $500 for parts and labor. Looks as good as new.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:57 AM   #7

If yer replacing the whole top don't even think about getting one with a plastic window... Dear god the hassle of the karate chop, the hassle!

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:29 AM   #8

I've googled that particular auction and found dissatisfied buyers. From what I read, the plastic window needs to be glued on and people aren't getting good results.

My plastic window just developed a small crack at the right crease point on my 2001 Boxster. My local Porsche dealer referred me to a local auto upholstery shop which will sew in a new and supposedly better plastic window for $600. I have not done this yet, but am considering.
dustinaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:43 AM   #9
fab

I've had my plastic replaced this spring. It was sewn in. No problems to report. Very happy with it. It was done by an upholstery shop.
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab
I've had my plastic replaced this spring. It was sewn in. No problems to report. Very happy with it. It was done by an upholstery shop.
so why don't these dip**************** shops in Houston want to replace just the window?!??!?! I've called a few and they will ONLY sell me a new top.

oh well - guess I have to call all 500 shops to find one!

Thanks for all the replies! (keep them coming)
Old 11-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #11

Too bad you're in Houston, around here in Pennsylvania, a lot of my friends with convertibles have had the Amish upholsterers (sp?) replace their plastic windows.. most of the time it only costs about 80 bucks for the vinyl, and around 75 to 100 for the labor.... None of my friends drive Boxsters, though, so I don't know if it would be different on that.. I can't imagine why it would be..

One note: All of the glue-only vert windows that I have seen looked arse-ugly after about 6 months or less... I'd avoid that if I were you.

Wonko The Sane is offline   Reply With Quote