Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 11:50 PM   #1

Collector car plate registration southern California

Just moved to Carlsbad California. Concerned about smog testing my 1997 boxster with 23,000 miles on her. Very confusing info out there regarding qualifying for historical plates and avoiding smog testing. Any suggestions to register car as historical. Thanks Bruce

bmyslis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:27 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyslis View Post
Just moved to Carlsbad California. Concerned about smog testing my 1997 boxster with 23,000 miles on her. Very confusing info out there regarding qualifying for historical plates and avoiding smog testing. Any suggestions to register car as historical. Thanks Bruce
The information isn't confusing. Here's a test:

Is your 1997 Boxster older than 1975? No?

See you at the smog station.

Is your 1997 is older than 1975? Yes?

Post pics.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Owner

You will require a smog bi-yearly
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #4

BTW, there is a visual inspection too, so all original smog equipment must be in place.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyslis View Post
If the car is 100% factory, run an IM Readiness test on it, if it passes, it will also pass smog. If it isn't 100% factory, or fails IM Readiness, all bets are off....
Old 12-04-2021, 03:09 AM   #6
Seal1968

In Canada if you register historic plates on a car it restricts you on what highways you can drive your car. No 400 series (4 lane) freeways with speeds over 80 KMPH. (50 MPH)

Yes the insurance is cheaper...but no thank you.

If your car is well maintained you should likely pass smog, but take JFP's advice.

Good luck sir.
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:47 AM   #7
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal1968 View Post
In Canada if you register historic plates on a car it restricts you on what highways you can drive your car. No 400 series (4 lane) freeways with speeds over 80 KMPH. (50 MPH)
Maybe in Ontario but that is not the case here in Manitoba. There are no use restrictions regarding roads or speeds that I can find in the legalize. If the car can do the speed limit, have at her. We don’t have freeways so that is a moot point but we do have 110kph along stretches of the Trans Canada Highway if you dare dodge the potholes and crevasse-like expansion joints.

Manitoba likely has the worst roads this side of Kazakhstan so speed reduction is a necessity not always the law.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #8
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Just fyi...
In Germany you can get your car declared (by the TÜV) as a "historic car" (or "oldtimer" in german), if it is older than 30 years. Any major non-period correct detail or bad condition will disqualify it.
Benefits are:
- No cats needed = no smog testing
- super cheap car tax (<200€ p.a.)
- insurances will grant a major discount
- no city smog zone restrictions = you can drive in any zone at any time
- you will get a new registration and license plate (ends with an "H", so it is clearly noticable to authorities)

dang...still nine years to go

Last edited by BRAN; 12-04-2021 at 07:35 AM.
BRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #9
Seal1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Maybe in Ontario but that is not the case here in Manitoba. There are no use restrictions regarding roads or speeds that I can find in the legalize. If the car can do the speed limit, have at her. We don’t have freeways so that is a moot point but we do have 110kph along stretches of the Trans Canada Highway if you dare dodge the potholes and crevasse-like expansion joints.

Manitoba likely has the worst roads this side of Kazakhstan so speed reduction is a necessity not always the law.
Did not know that...Ontario still wants front license plates too...really pisses me off lol
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal1968 View Post
Ontario still wants front license plates too...really pisses me off lol
Manitoba as well, and radar detectors are verboten!!! Saskatchewan and Alberta do not need front plates and I believe detectors are legal in both provinces. Manitoba may be in Western Canada but we got a whole lotta Ontario in our arcane laws.

I lived just outside Toronto for 28 years and I do miss your better roads and scenic drives and the access your freeways provide. Our only supposed 'freeway' the Winnipeg encircling 'Perimeter Highway' has at least 11 traffic light controlled intersections and they are adding more. What is supposedly a speedy way around the city amounts to stop and go frustration even in the lightest traffic conditions.

Sorry for high jacking this thread but Manitoba roads and our nanny road laws really get me pi$$ed off.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Manitoba as well, and radar detectors are verboten!!! Saskatchewan and Alberta do not need front plates and I believe detectors are legal in both provinces. Manitoba may be in Western Canada but we got a whole lotta Ontario in our arcane laws.

I lived just outside Toronto for 28 years and I do miss your better roads and scenic drives and the access your freeways provide. Our only supposed 'freeway' the Winnipeg encircling 'Perimeter Highway' has at least 11 traffic light controlled intersections and they are adding more. What is supposedly a speedy way around the city amounts to stop and go frustration even in the lightest traffic conditions.

Sorry for high jacking this thread but Manitoba roads and our nanny road laws really get me pi$$ed off.
Don't apologize. You're making me feel better. I thought the roads were bad in PA