Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #1

PCM2 & Amplifier Becker (MOST) : alternatives ???

Good evening !

After having browsed many French and English forums dedicated to our beautiful automobiles, I would like to have feedback on your experiences and skills on a specific subject: for the 986 equipped with the MOST system (2003-2004) , what alternatives?
Let me explain myself and I will try to be both concise and clear!
On my 986 from 2004, I have a PCM2 with the M490 option, and a Becker 996.645.331.03 amplifier (it seems to me that the system is identical with the Bose amplifier), the whole being connected by optical fiber (MOST).
After a first try to fix my sizzling problems in my HP (not resolved by changing them), it seems that my amp is defective.
It should not be an isolated case because, reading many posts here and there, it seems that this amp is fragile and poorly designed from the outset.
Yet nowhere can I find clear solutions to this problem.
How to solve this problem and by what alternatives?

Several options seem to be available to us:

1) Have the amplifier repaired? The repair seems possible, in particular at: https: //www.amp-perf...er-BE6600-.html However, is this according to a lasting solution? Have some already done so? What do you think ?

2) Replace the amplifier with an identical used OEM model (SIC!) Or one purchased at a Porsche Center? Personally, I find this solution unlikely. On the one hand because this second-hand amp can quickly show more or less identical signs of weakness. On the other hand, the new OEM version in Porsche Center is either overpriced or ... unavailable!

3) Remove the PCM, the amplifier and redo all the wiring? The option that seems the most tempting because it allows you to do away with the Becker amplifier and have a more modern double DIN car radio system. Feedback from experience? What constraints? Electronic consequences on the car? Which material to choose?

4) Replace only the amp with a generic Alpine amp or another and redo the wiring? Personally, this is the option, which I would like to choose, even if it turned out to be complex. Why ? Because I like the vintage side of PCM 2, its necessarily perfect integration and then, quite simply because it works !!!!!! Have you already performed this operation? If so, can you give me details, in terms of equipment, constraints, maneuver and especially consequences on the electronic system of the car?

Thank you in advance for your feedback and sharing of knowledge as detailed as possible !!!

Envoyé de mon M2007J20CG en utilisant Tapatalk

mozeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #2

pull the radio, amp, speakers and put in all new. No need to replace the wiring to speakers as they will be copper anyway. Put amp in same location as factory, wire up speakers & HU. Once all done...recycle the old stuff. Fixing factory is still only going to give you factory quality, which isn't that great to begin with even when new. Add rear speaker tray and sound gets even better. I have put the Bose sub tray in as well as all my other cars having the standard factory tray. Night and day difference.

I also make speaker brackets for the dash & rear speaker tray that didnt require any cutting and make things look just like OEM.

Lots of write ups on this as well as some youtube videos
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
pull the radio, amp, speakers and put in all new. No need to replace the wiring to speakers as they will be copper anyway. Put amp in same location as factory, wire up speakers & HU. Once all done...recycle the old stuff. Fixing factory is still only going to give you factory quality, which isn't that great to begin with even when new. Add rear speaker tray and sound gets even better. I have put the Bose sub tray in as well as all my other cars having the standard factory tray. Night and day difference.

I also make speaker brackets for the dash & rear speaker tray that didnt require any cutting and make things look just like OEM.

Lots of write ups on this as well as some youtube videos
Thanks a lot for your answer!
Can I abuse it by asking if you can link me to tutorials or YouTube videos? That would be very helpful.
Thank you again for your help, that's very kind !!!

Envoyé de mon M2007J20CG en utilisant Tapatalk
mozeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:17 PM   #4

Look in the diy section here

2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote