Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #1

Tequipment carbon steering wheel

Does anyone knows if the OEM Tequipment wheel is thicker than the regular leather steering wheel? I'm having my wheel redone to replicate the Tequipment. In some photos the Tequipment looks slightly thicker but could be an illusion.

I love how the Tequipment looks and want to get it right. I know... I'm nitpicking but hey, it's all in the details...

Stock (mine):

Tequipment:

Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:22 PM   #2

Hey Javi - just for you I ran out to the garage and grabbed both from the parts shelf. Here's a side by side with a standard 3-spoke and a Tequipment 3-spoke (you know I'd have one ).

Without digging around for a micrometer to measure, they both feel the same in my hand. The two thickened leather grips at 10 and 2 on both wheels fit exactly the same way in my hand, as do the carbon fiber grip vs the leather grip. Eyeballing both, I can't see any apparent difference in diameter on either wheel. I think you'd be correct in having them keep the grip the same diameter as your stock 3-spoke.

Who are you having do the work for you?

BTW - I didn't know you had Sport Seats - cool!
Attached Images

Last edited by RedTele58; 11-05-2021 at 09:25 PM.
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:04 PM   #3

Seeing your Sport Seats reminded me I told you once I had a set of NOS Boxster Red GT3 seats still in the original Recaro boxes.

I have this set I found 6-7 years ago, and I also found a single used Boxster Red GT3 seat in OKC this past summer. These are probably the most unicorn pieces I have stashed. They're just waiting for the right project - I'm sure I'll never find another NOS set (And doubt I could afford them now. Even used GT3 seats are getting crazy stupid expensive.)

I'm keeping an eye out for a Boxster Red carbon fiber shifter and parking brake and side skirts for you. Don't give up hope.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2021, 05:53 AM   #4

hey thanks a lot! That helps. I've been on the fence about adding the extra thickness. I generally like it but with this wheel it might ruin the look. I'm going for the look of the first second photo - as modified as possible without going aftermarket. My exterior is much the same (OEM hardtop, OEM full aero kit, Speedline looking wheels...)

Those seats... holly hell! I'm so glad I found my sports seats, otherwise I'd be refinancing my house to (try to) buy yours. They're probably worth as much as my 3.4 engine. I don't even like GT3 seats that much but that color puts them in another league. Congrats on that awesome find. Can't wait to see them installed.

I'm having the steering wheel done by this guy: https://carbonmafia.co/
He's local to me, his work looks looks top notch, and his prices are very competitive. I can't vouch for him yet but I'll post the results when I get my wheel back in a month or two. Oh and he's also the only person that has told me where to find OEM Boxster Red leather (or any other color), which I could never find for my seats (I'm on my laptop now but I'll post the link later from home if interested). That alone deserves some credit.

Thanks for the help finding those parts. Any 5-speed shift knob that has the silver horseshoe will work since this guy can also recover shift knobs. Bonus points for a carbon knob that's not cracked (I know...). And those GT3 side skirts... What a pain to find I'll be respraying the front and refinishing the wheels soon and I'd like to do it all in one shot. Projects never end...

Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote