Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 03:50 AM   #1

16" rims vs. 17" rims

My 2001 base Boxster has 16" rims. Honestly, it's all I know, but I can't imagine the car driving any smoother or better. It's fantastic. That said, I have an opportunity to acquire a set of 17" turbo twist rims. Would anyone here argue for or against the purchase and why? Thanks in advance.

woody3260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:22 AM   #2
PLP

What is the rubber size of the 16's?
17's are 205 front and 255 rear.
While it is comfortable ride, I can feel they are heavy and like to bounce.
No, it is not the suspension as I put all fresh pieces along with new KYB.
The wheels just feel like SUV wheels...

Wider tires will make more noise as well.
As for fuel consumption - well, you may or may not notice anything.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:43 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I've had 986s with 16, 17, 18, and 20 inch wheels. The 16s on a '97 with manual steering were great for driving back roads and just playing with the car. 16" tires were fairly inexpensive and wheels and tires together could be about 3 - 5 pounds lighter than 17s and 18s . For what little track and autocross I've done, I liked wider 17" tires with better grip and a little less sidewall. The 20" wheels were more about appearance than performance. Not terrible, but heavy and a little rougher ride on bad pavement.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:05 AM   #4

Nope, zero argument against purchase with facts provided.

Any of us offering any opinions re: weight, noise, fuel economy, etc. is pointless w/o knowing all facts for both your current 16" and proposed 17" twists. Details such as: are they OEM or A/M along w specs, and tires each wear (brand, model, size, etc.). Way too many variables*...

That said with info provided... handling should be a tad better for daily driving but doubt you'll notice any other difference all other things being equal... well other than enjoying much improved visual aesthetics

Good luck and enjoy

*if one set is sporting summer performance tires and other is sporting Toyo R888s then yeah even my wife is gonna (and has) notice noise level differences.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody3260 View Post
My 2001 base Boxster has 16" rims. Honestly, it's all I know, but I can't imagine the car driving any smoother or better. It's fantastic. That said, I have an opportunity to acquire a set of 17" turbo twist rims. Would anyone here argue for or against the purchase and why? Thanks in advance.
When you are happy with what you got now, why change it and risk that you may not be as happy?

As already mentioned, generally bigger wheels are heavier so you take disadvantages in terms of more sprung weight and rotating mass. Upsides are thinner/ stiffer sidewall for more precise steering feel and wider rear tires to keep your tail planted through corner.

Unless it is more cosmetic or you have specific needs, just leave it as is and ficus on other improvement.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #6

@Boxstard - thank you for the response. I like your advice, as that is what I decided to do. The proposed switch was being suggested only for cosmetic reasons. The 17" wheels were also locally available which made it a little more interesting. But I am staying with my 16's and moving on to other improvements. Thanks everyone!!
woody3260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:15 AM   #7

Had 17" wheels on a '99 and a '01 S. No issues on either car but I had no urge to go any higher.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody3260 View Post
@Boxstard - thank you for the response. I like your advice, as that is what I decided to do. The proposed switch was being suggested only for cosmetic reasons. The 17" wheels were also locally available which made it a little more interesting. But I am staying with my 16's and moving on to other improvements. Thanks everyone!!
I know your feel, when things pop up locally at great price it’s tempting but I always step back and think what I would really get.

I got a 97 with 2.5, minimal power for today’s standard, so I’m super conscious to keep the car as quick as possible, and not going to spend monies on ‘upgrades’ that won’t really help making the car go faster or handles better. My car came with 17” wheels but frankly 255 rear seems overkill, like extra insurance against oversteer. So I got the stiffest factory rear sway bar from non-S M030 for more oversteering-bias and like it so far. When my current tires wear out, I’d upsize front to 225 and see if 255 rear tires can finally get pushed to the limit and get the most out of them through the corner.

Now the day is coming soon to put on snow tires and a hardtop for winter driving.

1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote