Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2021, 07:13 PM   #1

Top Won't Close All the Way After Sagging Repair

I had the issue where my convertible top was separating from the from below the window and I followed this guide to make the repair:

Fix sagging soft-top coming unstuck at rear

But after putting everything back together the top stops short of the frame. As an experiment I disconnected the tension cables that pull the top up to the clamshell and everything closed correctly, so I guess my tension cables are too tight. Can anyone advise on what adjustments need to be made and how?? I don't think I stretched the top to far in my repair as when it's closed the stitching seam is just under the clamshell.

Top not closed:

Repaired top open in service position:

Repaired top closed:

JavPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:06 AM   #2

Garage
Mine doesn't go too much further than that on its own. Is it tough to pull it down the rest of the way? I just pull it down a bit, push the latch in to catch and then operate the handle. Mine takes very little force though.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 04:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
Mine doesn't go too much further than that on its own. Is it tough to pull it down the rest of the way? I just pull it down a bit, push the latch in to catch and then operate the handle. Mine takes very little force though.
Yes it's tough to pull, it's to the point I can't pull it all the way with the tension cables connected, short of my fear of breaking something. It was not like that before, it was easy since there was no resistance from the canvas top being stretched in the back.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:16 AM   #4

In case anyone stumbles on this thread in the future, the bottom ball is adjustable via a 14mm bolt. I was able to adjust mine to bring the top close enough to close.